Waterbath trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daniel804

Assistant Cook
This is my first post but I've been lurking for a while, let me just say this is an awesome community.

Anyway, I'm trying to make a cheesecake for thanksgiving dinner and it requires a waterbath. I wrapped my springform pan tightly in foil, but it wasn't water tight and now I have a soggy crust. Is there anything I can do to dry out the crust? Also how can I use foil to stop this thing from leaking?

Welcome!
Sorry to say I dont think you can save the crust... but I've been there!
If you try again, I like to use the heavy duty foil and go a little overboard with it.
3-4 layers and all the way up to the top of the pan.
Never had the problem again.
:)

A better solution is to find a recipe that doesn't require a water bath ;) That's what I did. The recipe calls for baking the cheesecake for 50 minutes, then turning off the oven, but leaving the cake in there, for another 30 minutes. Let me know if you want the recipe.

The solution is a better grade foil than the one you used--heavy duty. Does your springform fit tightly or has it loosened up with use? If so, it might be time to buy a new one. Also, I stop shy of the top of the pan because sometimes the cheesecake bakes taller and can stick to the tinfoil.

I hope that helps. :)

Eliminate the water bath or find a better grade foil that completely covers the bottom of your pan in one large, very large sheet. If you have seams, that is where the water will get in.

This is what I use. An aluminum, removable bottom pan fitted inside a silicone pan. It works perfectly and no water gets in. I tried using the silicone pan alone and the cheesecake was almost impossible to remove, plus it made a huge mess.

Attachments

• amb 001.jpg
    amb 001.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 180
  • amb 002.jpg
    amb 002.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 155
Even if the recipe calls for a water bath, when I make a cheesecake I do not do the water bath - because no matter how good your alum foil is, or how many layers, you could still get a soggy bottom. And who wants that?!

Even if the recipe calls for a water bath, when I make a cheesecake I do not do the water bath - because no matter how good your alum foil is, or how many layers, you could still get a soggy bottom. And who wants that?!

I agree Toots, soggy bottoms are most unpleasant--but I have never had a problem using a waterbath for my cheesecakes. It has got to be that the springforms that are being used do not seal properly.

Also, Maida Heatter has recipes for a special cheesecake pan that is 8 x 3-inches that is not a springform. This pan solves the water bath problem. It can take finesse to use and one adds the graham cracker crust after the cake is baked, cooled and set but before it is refrigerated. It is unmolded, the crust is put on and then, it is flipped right side up. In all the years I have done so, I have had only one mishap and it was because I was inpatient and did not wait for the cheesecake to cool long enough.

Maida Heatter also has some wonderful cheesecakes that use springform pans, too and the crust is baked with the cheesecake.

Back
Top Bottom