Fridge Shelves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cas

Assistant Cook
could someone please confirm what food needs to be placed on which shelf in the fridge. I have been told different things.

From a safety point of view, all raw meat, fish and poultry should be on the bottom shelf. If you happen to have crisper drawers beneath that bottom shelf (as many home appliances do) then, again, from a safety point of view, that meat should be placed on top of a baking sheet (like a cookie tray) before it's placed on the lowest shelf.

Store your most perishable foods on the bottom shelf. It is cooler than the top shelf and will prolong the shelf life.
Place jarred and glass items in the door. However, do not store milk in the door, it is the warmest place in the fridge.
Leave eggs in the carton even if you have egg slots, that way you can see the expiration date.

My sister uses the egg slots and cuts the exp date off the carton to put in with them. It makes the carton terrible to use and very flimsy (she supplies me with empty cartons for my chickens' eggs). She must have co-workers who do the same thing judging by the cartons I get from her.

I use the door for my milk. It has those gallon size compartments. The way I have my shelves configured, to store it anywhere else I need to lay it on its side. And I don't know what's up with those plastic milk cartons, but the lids leak when they are on their side. My meat drawer is in the middle of the fridge and the top shelf is actually colder than the bottom. It must be the way the ducts are constructed. I say get a fridge thermomter just to check temps in case you get an oddball fridge like mine.

Which shelf. depends of Temperature/Raw foods/Size/Humidity

It depends on a few things. My refrigerator, a MAYTAG-(WHIRLPOOL) side by side, is colder on the top shelf at the right side closest to the freezer. So I need to keep things at the top that need to be more cold. So temperature is a factor. Some things like sour cream will actually freeze at the top. But the middle is perfect for them. The milk loves the cold, it stays fresh days longer on the top shelf.

Then Raw foods have bacterias that you don't want to spread. I always cover my raw uncooked meat foods and bag them, then put them either in a pyrex dish, or if they are too big on a cookie pan. You don't want defrosting meats or fowl or fish to leave uncooked drippings (possibly bacteria-laden) anywhere in the fridge or freezer.

You can clean up with baking soda, and a good soap. If it was really a scary dripping I will finish with antibacterial wipes after a good washing.

Then there is size. A large pepsi bottle will only fit in a couple of places. A large cookie pan has a shape to accommodate, etc.

So no set rules other than common sense and safety.

There are usually drawers with temperature or "humidity" controls. I find that I can leave the humidity slots half open, and wrap things like lettuce in paper towels,then in the bags. The GREEN BAGS work really well on many items. Vegies last longer. Some still are wet inside, and if I wrap a paper towel around them and then place in the green bags, they last longer, like bell peppers or tomatoes.

Candy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom