How do you feel when someone obviously doesnt like what you have cooked ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
As I mentioned in the Hit and Miss thread, I had a Miss with the mashed rutagaba, parsnip and carrot. It wasnt that it was bad, I actually thought it was perfect. But most of the other people either wernt willing to try it, or took a little and left it over ( a few did like it).

Sure I know everyone has different tastes and that everything is not for everyone. But, there is that little bit inside me that gets a little insulted when I see people leaving my food over. I never say anything, and I never would. But I cant help getting that feeling. I feel like saying " Hey, its perfect and it taste great, whats the matter with you ?? Do you have defective taste buds ??? ":LOL:

Does anyone else get that kind of insulted feeling if something you know you cooked is perfect to your standards, but isnt accepted by others ?? To me this is one of those feelings ( like jealousy) that in your mind you can reason why you shouldnt feel that way, but something just kinda takes over..

(The potato cheese bake completely went, so I wasnt that insulted ;) )

Larry

As I mentioned in the Hit and Miss thread, I had a Miss with the mashed rutagaba, parsnip and carrot. It wasnt that it was bad, I actually thought it was perfect. But most of the other people either wernt willing to try it, or took a little and left it over ( a few did like it).

Sure I know everyone has different tastes and that everything is not for everyone. But, there is that little bit inside me that gets a little insulted when I see people leaving my food over. I never say anything, and I never would. But I cant help getting that feeling. I feel like saying " Hey, its perfect and it taste great, whats the matter with you ?? Do you have defective taste buds ??? ":LOL:

Does anyone else get that kind of insulted feeling if something you know you cooked is perfect to your standards, but isnt accepted by others ?? To me this is one of those feelings ( like jealousy) that in your mind you can reason why you shouldnt feel that way, but something just kinda takes over..

(The potato cheese bake completely went, so I wasnt that insulted ;) )

Larry

:) I tell people when I put out a meal to not feel obligated to eat something I made if they don't like it as everybody has different tastes and it wont be an insult if you don't eat it. How ever if it's something they have never had before I encourage them to at least taste it it rather than just bypassing it.

larry, I know how you feel but try not to get insulted. Just try to remember not to make that recipe again for those folks. It doesn't mean that the recipe was bad, it was just not what they particularly liked.

I really do understand--I was very disappointed when I spent 2-1/2 hours making marzipan carrots for a three layer carrot cake and no one ate them when I served the cake. They considered them cute garnish and all my effort (not to mention the expense of the ingredients) got thrown in the trash. So, now when I make that cake, I use perfect walnut halves instead unless I know that folks like marzipan.

Larry, the only time I feel insulted when I present a meal is if someone is rude enough to loudly comment on the things they don't like about it. Otherwise, I just chalk it up to different tastes.

I DO however feel ready to leap across the table when my child picks out microscopic "bits" of things she considers inedible from her food. And when I say microscopic I mean grains of broccoli. Or perhaps a tiny shred of onion. Yeesh. But thats just about kids and Moms.

I get what you are saying Larry.... My family are not very open minded with food... frankly most of the time most of them wont even try something unfamiliar.... There are a few of us that will eat/try anything.

If someone genuinely does not like something that's fine but when they wont even give it a fair chance because they have convinced themselves beforehand that makes me crazy because I love to try new food so much and so many things I thought I would not like I ended up loving.

I feel like 1/2 of my relatives are "special needs" eaters with all of these individual issues and phobias. They are the worst group of people to cook for. The slightest difference in what they are used to and they wont touch it.

edit to add:

If I am cooking for people I know like and know food and they have comments or ideas on how to imrove something like you know what this can use etc that I appreciate

larry, I know how you feel but try not to get insulted. Just try to remember not to make that recipe again for those folks. It doesn't mean that the recipe was bad, it was just not what they particularly liked.

I really do understand--I was very disappointed when I spent 2-1/2 hours making marzipan carrots for a three layer carrot cake and no one ate them when I served the cake. They considered them cute garnish and all my effort (not to mention the expense of the ingredients) got thrown in the trash. So, now when I make that cake, I use perfect walnut halves instead unless I know that folks like marzipan.
:) Thats to bad I love marzipan.

It is happened to me.... I don't take it personally, but more as a "Wont be fixing that again." or "What did I do wrong?". I take it with a grain of salt. Different strokes for different folks... what I may find interesting and fabulous may not be the same for the crowd I'm cooking it for. Don't sweat it Larry.... just be you!!!

Firstly, I wish I could have had your root veggie mash - sounds really good to me!
I usually cook the same things for Thanksgivintg, so I know what most may or may not like. Even though my mil and older boy don't care for carrots, I still make carrots in a butter-dill cream, since my sister and I go crazy for it. I know that mil and son will instead go for the orange-ginger sweet potatoes, served in orange cups instead. One orange veggie in exchange for another, I suppose.
On regular days, I do get the occasional whine, but I tell them that when they (both boys and husband) want to cook, they can cook, provided they serve a balanced meal, and do all of the clean up afterward. Somehow, they manage to get through the meal just fine ;)

I must say it has not happened to me but I have eaten at others homes and kept quiet about food I didn't like . One year, my sister didn't cook the potatoes completely , it was baked potato and still a little hard. The turkey was a little underdone.

No, I do not get insulted by that. What I do sometimes (and only slightly) get insulted by is when I make something and people do not even try it. If someone puts on a dinner for me then I will take a little bit of everything that is served usually. Of course with a spread like most do on Thanksgiving that is sometimes impossible, but for a normal meal I would at least try a bite of everything.

My ex was a classic. In the early years of our marriage, she would try new recipes and ask for my feedback. I was careful when I told her I didn't like a dish that it was the recipe I didn't like but that she had done a good job preparing it. It didn't matter, I got the silent treatment for a day or two.

As a result, I try to be objective and accept comments/criticism gracefully. Sometimes, i get hot when the nature of the comment is not, in my opinion, justified.

No Larry,I don't get insulted. I just sit there enjoying my meal and thinking about all the delicious leftovers that I'm going to have:ROFLMAO:

No, I do not get insulted by that. What I do sometimes (and only slightly) get insulted by is when I make something and people do not even try it. If someone puts on a dinner for me then I will take a little bit of everything that is served usually. Of course with a spread like most do on Thanksgiving that is sometimes impossible, but for a normal meal I would at least try a bite of everything.

Hey GB... I was thinking about your comment on folks not trying something that you made. I have done this because I know I don't like it or there is something in it I don't like. So do I go ahead and serve some up on my plate and then offend the person because it is still there when I am done or just avoid it all together? I don't like being rude... unless I just put a tiny wee bit on my plate? LOL! :wacko:

So long as they try it, I'm always interested in honest feedback. I get more irritated when they (my kids) tell me they like something new and then, next time I make it, they don't touch it. I'd prefer to make something people like and the best way to know is to have people speak up.

Hey GB... I was thinking about your comment on folks not trying something that you made. I have done this because I know I don't like it or there is something in it I don't like. So do I go ahead and serve some up on my plate and then offend the person because it is still there when I am done or just avoid it all together? I don't like being rude... unless I just put a tiny wee bit on my plate? LOL! :wacko:
Sorry, I should have been more clear. If someone knows they do not like something then I have no problem with them not trying it. My comment should have specified that this is for foods that they have not yet tried and determined if they like or not.

I made a celery root mashed potato dish a while ago and there were a few people who would not go near it because they had never heard of celery root. They even liked celery, but would not try something new. I think what really got to me was the faces they made. How can you do that when you have never tasted it :LOL:

GB, there are also some of us with food allergies and we cannot try certain foods or foods in the same families. Sometimes people are loathe to describe their health issues and just say, "no thank you." It really has nothing to do with not being willing to try or even not liking something. I know when I avoid certain foods, I feel better.

What gets me is when they salt the food before tasting it and then say they don't like it...

well, maybe just maybe they would have with out all that added salt on top. : )

GB, there are also some of us with food allergies and we cannot try certain foods or foods in the same families. Sometimes people are loathe to describe their health issues and just say, "no thank you." It really has nothing to do with not being willing to try or even not liking something. I know when I avoid certain foods, I feel better.
What I am talking about has nothing to do with food allergies. It had to do with the people who look at something they do not recognize, ask what it is and scrunch up their face and basically say gross before they ever take a taste. Not eating something because you have an allergy or have already tried it is fine, but deciding you do not like something before ever tasting it when someone has gone through the trouble of making it for you is a bit rude in my opinion.

I have a SIL that always makes comments about what is served. Every meal is "OH I Don't Like THAT". They were living rent free with my parents at one time and would pull this all of the time. I happened to be at a little shop that sells signs made on cedar slabs. They had a sign that hangs over the kitchen table today.

Menu for Today
Choice of Two
Take it or Leave It

SIL does not gripe when she comes to the house now.

What I am talking about has nothing to do with food allergies. It had to do with the people who look at something they do not recognize, ask what it is and scrunch up their face and basically say gross before they ever take a taste. Not eating something because you have an allergy or have already tried it is fine, but deciding you do not like something before ever tasting it when someone has gone through the trouble of making it for you is a bit rude in my opinion.

Have you been watching my kids. Thats just what they do. I no longer get them to try it as they take a miniscule bit and say they don't like the taste before it has even hit the tongue.

Larry, I do feel a little like that but it is up to people to choose what they want to eat. It's a bit like bring & share meals - I'm always watching to see how well my dish goes down compared to the others.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom