Vons supermarket has pop ups in roasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
Eye round roast, 2.42 lb. The label says the roast is done to perfection when the pop up rises. What the hell does that mean? Med rare?

Ya know why they stopped putting pop ups in turkeys? People would baste their turkey and the basting would get inside the popup and the oven heat would seal it shut.

Eye round roast, 2.42 lb. The label says the roast is done to perfection when the pop up rises. What the hell does that mean? Med rare?

Ya know why they stopped putting pop ups in turkeys? People would baste their turkey and the basting would get inside the popup and the oven heat would seal it shut.

I do not have an answer...I would advise against trusting it and use a real meat thermometer...Target sells a pretty cheap Taylor probe type for around $16...

They have not stopped putting them in turkeys. They are still used. Even if they do pop up in time they are a very inaccurate way for making sure your meat is done correctly, unless you do not mind overcooked meat.

Probably at least medium. I would ignore it and use a meat thermometer and take the roast out when it reaches the 'doneness' that I want, in my case medium rare indeed.

Back
Top Bottom