What is your best pantry back-up meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scoobagirl

Senior Cook
Mods - feel free to move this post if this is the wrong place -

I'm curious if anyone keeps something special on hand for those emergency nights. (forgot to thaw meat, don't have time to cook something, just not "that" hungry)

I like having a box of Tony Chachere jambalaya mix in the cabinet and a pack of precooked smoked sausage or kielbasa in the meat keeper. An onion chopped up in it, and a few cloves of garlic, and a can of tomatoes really dress it up and its fast to fix.

I would love to hear what your emergency backup meal is! :chef:

Perogie and Bean/cheese quesadillas are the running joke of our weekly menu list. They are always on the list, but always get bumped off. But, if im having a late night, or need to make something in a pinch, they make their way to the top of the list , because each takes about 10 minutes to make. Spagetti with tomato sauce ( premade and frozen) is a close second.

Sounds goofy, but one of the things Buck and I loved in those situations was to make a huge bowl of popcorn. Didn't even need a movie.:)

We do that too!:ohmy: I thought we were the only ones! Something else I can usually make is mac and cheese or cook some rice and start throwing in whatever is on hand.

Elbow mac, a can of diced tomatoes, lots of butter, dill weed, garlic salt.

Good as chicken soup for what ails you, too!

Lee

I have several:

Tuna casserole, salmon patties with mac'n cheese and peas, creamed chipped beef on toast with peas on the side, assorted soups with grilled cheese sandwiches, spam'n cheese sandwiches, pasta salad, assorted rice and bean dishes...and more. Really, I have one he$$ of a pantry!

Fish out of a box and mac and cheese. It does not happen much anymore, but there was a time that it happened at least once a week!

wow - all good answers! I forgot about breakfast stuff, UB.

I'm trying to build a good pantry - y'all are awesome! Keep 'em coming!

Yea, I have to agree, can't go wrong with pancakes or eggs. That is good eatin anytime of the day!

Hmmm...tortellini and a package of bearnaise sauce is fast.
- Perohe and sausage
- Elbow macaroni with melted velveeta mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

salmon cakes, baked potato, peas, welsh rarebit (either frozen or made with what I got on hand...cheese flour butter beer worcestershire etc...

pasta of some sort

falafel and hummus with yogurt and cucumbers, olives, feta,

waffles and you name it!

omlettes

grilled cheese and something sandwich with tomato soup (the only canned soup I always keep on hand)

rice and beans. so many great simple things. I'm never at a loss.

PASTA PASTA PASTA. I always keep tons of it on hand. There's always sauce in the house too, marinara and homemade alfredo. I also stock up on canned and frozen veggies, cooked hamburger patties (costco has top of the line angus burgers precooked) and canned tuna (in water).

linguine, canned tomatoes, canned whole and chopped clams. add a little chopped fresh garlic and toasted breadcrumbs, you've got a feast! ;)

Back
Top Bottom