California fruitcake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocketdog1

Assistant Cook
Many years ago I hada ecipe for this fruitcake. I has NO candied fruit - only dried apricots, figs, prunes, raisens, nuts etc. It is delicious. It is a light fruit cake. If anyone has this recipe I'd love to have it again. I can't find it anywhere. Even a fruitcake hater would love it.

Many years ago I hada ecipe for this fruitcake. I has NO candied fruit - only dried apricots, figs, prunes, raisens, nuts etc. It is delicious. It is a light fruit cake. If anyone has this recipe I'd love to have it again. I can't find it anywhere. Even a fruitcake hater would love it.

I have it, and I will post it for you tonight. It is DEEEElicious! :chef:

rocketdog... I have THE recipe you are talking about, and I forgot :ohmy: to post it last night. I have sent myself a message to be sure it gets posted tonight.

sorry.....

(and that recipe of Maida Heatter's is not the same. I have that, too.)

Maida Heatter's Light Fruitcake recipe is in her New Book of Great Desserts onn page 82. Makes 6-1/2 pound cake.

I am allowed to list ingredients, so here they are:
5 oz (1 cup) light raisins
1/2 cup Cognac or Brandy
8 oz (1-1/2 cups) candied citron, cut into slices or small squares
5 oz (1 cup) candied pineapple or candied ginger, cut into 1/4" slices
4 oz (1 cup) candied red or green cherries, cut into halves
4 oz (1 cup) candied orange rind, cut into slices or small squares
4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
8 oz (2 cups) slivered (julienne) blanched almonds
4 oz (generous 1 cup) pecan halves or large pieces
12 oz (3 sticks) unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups granulated sugar
6 eggs (graded large), separated
1/2 teaspoon mace
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
Finely grated rind of 2 or three lemons (some of the juice will be used for the icing)
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
Additional Cognac or brandy (for brushing on the baked cake)

Fruitcake Icing
1 cup plus 2 Tablespons sifted confectioners' sugar
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 Tablespoon milk
2 teaspoons lemon juice

California Fruitcake

Sorry this took so long! :rolleyes:

CALIFORNIA FRUITCAKE

There’s not one candied bit of anything in this fruitcake. It’s chock full of yummy dried fruits and luscious nuts. You can add some finely chopped orange zest, if you like to give it that real California touch!

makes 2 in 9x5x3-inch pans, or 5 in 5x3x2-inch pans

Note: This recipe doubles, triples, quadruples, etc., exactly!

1 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup clover honey
6 extra large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
grated peel of 1 large orange
2-1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon Rumford's baking powder
3 cups each diced prunes, diced dried figs, dates, apricots, yellow raisins, and chopped walnuts -- 15 cups in all! (Be sure to buy dried fruit which has already been pitted.)

Heat oven to 275 degrees F. Grease loaf pans well. Line the bottoms of metal pans with waxed paper or parchment. Grease the lining.

Cream butter until fluffy. Beat in honey. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla, orange peel, flour and baking powder.

Beat until smooth and well blended. Fold in fruit and nuts.

Spoon mixture into pans. Press to eliminate air spaces, and smooth the top. Cover pans with greased foil. Bake at 275 degrees for 1-1/2 hours. (1 hour for smaller pans.) Remove foil, raise temperature to 300 degrees F., bake 1 hour more (1/2 hour).

Cool in pan(s) for 15 minutes. Then remove from the pans to a cooling rack and cool with the top side up. Remove paper.

Wrap cakes in rum soaked cheesecloth, then foil. Store in cool, dry place.

^Wow, June that fruitcake sounds wonderful, especially with your suggestion of orange zest! However, it sounds like it would make more than 2 loaf cake pans with 15 cups of fruit. Are the pans full all the way to the top?
Thanks, PieSusan

Maida Heatter does not use those little tubs of flourescent cut up fruit. She buys candied fruits by the pound and cuts them up herself. She claims that it makes all the difference in the world. She has two NY sources: Paprikas Weiss and H. Roth & Son.

Maida Heatter does not use those little tubs of flourescent cut up fruit. She buys candied fruits by the pound and cuts them up herself. She claims that it makes all the difference in the world. She has two NY sources: Paprikas Weiss and H. Roth & Son.

I'm not sure those places are still in business, Susan. Maida Heatter's books are from the 70's.

^Wow, June that fruitcake sounds wonderful, especially with your suggestion of orange zest! However, it sounds like it would make more than 2 loaf cake pans with 15 cups of fruit. Are the pans full all the way to the top?
Thanks, PieSusan

The recipe will make two of the 9-inch loaf pans. Those are VERY large cakes. Other than the first time I made this recipe, I have never used that size pan. I make mostly the mini cakes and the mid-sized ones. They slice up very nicely for a dessert plate.

Thanks, ChefJune! I am not a fan of the candied flourescent fruit but I do love dried fruit in cakes. This one sounds very special.

Back
Top Bottom