Gluten free

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

homecook

Senior Cook
We're having our bowling Christmas party tomorrow night. One of our team mates is gluten free (celiac). Is there any restriction on making a dip for crudite??? Do many dips contain things that she shouldn't have?
Does anyone have a recipe for a good dip? TIA

Barb

Barb, if you are using a packaged dip that you mix with mayo/sour cream, check the package for wheat, gluten, wheat protein, etc. Usually the salad dressings/dips you get in the deli or the cooler in the produce section will be gluten free. I make my own, with a cream cheese and mayo base and then add fresh herbs, onions, etc.

My boss has celiac.... in my experience you really need to let that person read every ingredient list of everything you have in that dip.
Gluten hides in things you wouldn't imagine, so if you are not sure you need to give that list to the person you are concerned about.

I wasn't going to use a packaged mix because I know there are alot of hidden things in those. I was hoping for a recipe. lol Maybe I'll run to the health food store and see what they may have. Thanks guys!!! I just hate that when we bring stuff for this party she can't eat anything unless she brings it herself.

Barb

I wasn't going to use a packaged mix because I know there are alot of hidden things in those. I was hoping for a recipe. lol Maybe I'll run to the health food store and see what they may have. Thanks guys!!! I just hate that when we bring stuff for this party she can't eat anything unless she brings it herself.

Barb

Barb, I will PM you my recipe after our dinner tonight. It is a basic dip and you can make tons of variations! DH is celiac and I also made these when I was in charge of special diets at the camp I cooked at.

I know I'm late to answer this, but I figured I'd post for future reference. If you're making a dip (or anything) from scratch it's pretty easy to avoid gluten. The bigger concern is cross contamination. Gluten is a very sticky substance (and often used in glue!) and can seep into porous items like ceramics, stoneware, cast iron, teflon, wood, and plastic. When I prepare food away from home I try to stick with stainless steel and glass.

When using prepackaged items a good cheat is to use generic brand items. Most generic brands (and some big name labels) will list when an item contains wheat. Barley and rye aren't usually listed, but they're much easier to find in an ingredients list.

I'm also late on this, but I was going to tell you to avoid MSG. Not all of it contains gluten but some does so you can never be sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom