ISO recipes with cabbage, cauliflower, fresh apricots, peaches and apples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lennycape

Assistant Cook
Hi there!!

I am looking for any good recipes that I can add fresh apricots, peaches and apples into a main meal…

I have recently went to a local farm got load of fresh peppers, cabbage, cauliflower, fresh apricots, peaches and apples and would like to add them into our meals.

I make loads of curries and stews …. if anyone has any suggestion that I could do other than fruit salad.

I am not vegetarian however my husband is so I cook one dish and then add whatever meat or fish I want.

I look forward to hearing from you

You mentioned you make curries, stew etc. so I am assuming you enjoy flavors in Indian food. Here is a very simple cabbage recipe. I make it often and it goes very well with some store bought naan or chapati. Please note there are some ingredients that are a must in this recipe. For me it's simple ingredients because I always keep them in my refrigerator or spice pantry. If you don't have them you can try finding them in an Indian store if possible. Substitutions will produce a less than ideal end product.

Any type of medium cabbage shredded (you can do it in a food processor or by hand)
3 tsps of whole brown mustard seeds (absolutely a must)
2 tsps of whole cumin seeds
1 sprig of curry leaves (absolutely a must)
1 green chili (jalapeno, serrano, finger hot or whatever you have) finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
salt to taste
1/4 tsp of turmeric
juice from half a lime
freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
2 tbsp of oil

In a pan add the oil and let it get hot, reduce the heat and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and chopped chili. The flavors will permeate the oil. Once the oil cools a bit, add the garlic and saute it (you dont' want to burn it). Add the cabbage slowly and stir it as you add it. It will wilt in no time. After all the cabbage is added, add llittle salt and turmeric. Cover and let it cook until the cabbage is all cooked. Cook it some more without the cover so the liquid evaporates. Sprinkle lime juice and cilantro and serve.

Cabbage can be used for stuffed cabbage, slaw or by itself.

Cauliflower can be used in place of potatoes. Gratin, steamed with cheese sauce, in a stir fry.....speaking of stir fry, you can use cabbage in that or shred it and mix with ground pork as a filling for pot stickers.

Slice the peaches in half, drizzle some rum on them, grill cut side down until you get nice grill marks, flip and sprinkle on some brown sugar, close the lid and continue to grill for a couple more minutes, plate along with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

You mentioned you make curries, stew etc. so I am assuming you enjoy flavors in Indian food. Here is a very simple cabbage recipe. I make it often and it goes very well with some store bought naan or chapati. Please note there are some ingredients that are a must in this recipe. For me it's simple ingredients because I always keep them in my refrigerator or spice pantry. If you don't have them you can try finding them in an Indian store if possible. Substitutions will produce a less than ideal end product.

Any type of medium cabbage shredded (you can do it in a food processor or by hand)
3 tsps of whole brown mustard seeds (absolutely a must)
2 tsps of whole cumin seeds
1 sprig of curry leaves (absolutely a must)
1 green chili (jalapeno, serrano, finger hot or whatever you have) finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
salt to taste
1/4 tsp of turmeric
juice from half a lime
freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
2 tbsp of oil

In a pan add the oil and let it get hot, reduce the heat and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and chopped chili. The flavors will permeate the oil. Once the oil cools a bit, add the garlic and saute it (you dont' want to burn it). Add the cabbage slowly and stir it as you add it. It will wilt in no time. After all the cabbage is added, add llittle salt and turmeric. Cover and let it cook until the cabbage is all cooked. Cook it some more without the cover so the liquid evaporates. Sprinkle lime juice and cilantro and serve.

Hi there Thank you so much for the recipe i would like to try it tonight it sounds lovely ... I am a borderline diabetic so we have reduce the amount of Carbs in our diet... so instead of rice we have cabbage...
I have all the basicsingredients except the mustard and the lime...
I could i use a lemon instead of lime? I will have to go and look for some here as i have not seen it for awhile...

Anyway thank you soo much I will let you know what happens....

Just off the topic quickly do you think i could add fresh apricots into a veg & beans curry? I usually make a big pot and then use it in different forms for about a week or more....

I would love to know what you think of that ... thanks again for your advice

peaches & Rum

Cabbage can be used for......, slaw or by itself.

Cauliflower can be used in place of potatoes. Gratin, steamed with cheese sauce, in a stir fry.....speaking of stir fry, you can use cabbage in that or shred it and mix with ground pork as a filling for pot stickers.

Slice the peaches in half, drizzle some rum on them, grill cut side down until you get nice grill marks, flip and sprinkle on some brown sugar, close the lid and continue to grill for a couple more minutes, plate along with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Now that sounds really really nice.... could i use other wines/ liquors instead of rum? I live about 30minutes from the vineyards have a wide variety to choose from.

this is something i may try for a special dinner....

Now that sounds really really nice.... could i use other wines/ liquors instead of rum? I live about 30minutes from the vineyards have a wide variety to choose from.

this is something i may try for a special dinner....

Use whatever you have. I would just stay away from cream liquors like Baileys.

Hi Lennycape, I know that in Indian foods we use apricots (dried ones not fresh ones but you can try the fresh ones, they are not very sweet or tart so should work fine) in quite a few dishes. I would not say we use Peach in savory dishes.

If you are up for it, you can make a vegetarian pulau (one pot rice dish) and use your apricots in it. I would slice the apricots and use it in the rice dish.

Use whatever chunky vegetables you like - cauliflower, potatoes, green beans, carrots, peas, peppers etc. I would avoid eggplant and cabbage since the wilt very quickly.

First you need a large onion sliced thinly. Cook it in oil until it's golden brown, next add some finely minced fresh ginger and garlic to it (2 tbsps) then add tomatoes to it (chopped about 3 large ones). Then add some spices - cumin powder, corrainder powder, chili powder, turmeric, salt and some garam masala (you can make your version by grinding 1 stick of cinnamon, tsp of black pepper and 2-3 clvoes along with a few pods of cardamom). Add the veggies and let them cook for atleast 10 minutes. Add 3 cups of rice washed and drained into this veggie mixture. Stir to combiine, add some liquid (about 1 cup of water), cover and let the rice cook until tender. The veggie and rice should all cook together nicely.

At the last minute add some freshly chopped cilantro (corrainder leaves) and your apricot and slightly stir it and you are ready to eat. I know you are looking to go low carb but this dish is really a one pot meal and has a good balance.

To answer your other question yes you can substitute lemon in the cabbage recipe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom