Want to give a store bought ham smoked and better taste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigrod

Assistant Cook
want to cook up a store bought ham with better taste and smoke it to , but have not done this since i was a kid on farm in no. dakota with my grand father.. should have paid better attention... so if you have done this before i could use a little help????? thanks big rod:chef:

Hi bigrod, welcome!

Dr. Chicken's Double-Smoked Ham recipe looks more involved than it is. It is simple and absolutely delicious! Essentially, all you are doing is hitting a cooked ham with some heat, smoke and a wonderful glaze.

He also developed an injection, which I have not tried.

Here's a link to both recipes and techniques. The Big Green Egg Users Forum

Below are a couple of pictures of some Double-Smoked Hams I did on my WSM around Easter one year. After cooking them, I removed the bones and sliced them on my deli-slicer. Packaged it up and gave most away to friends and family as Easter gifts.

Lee

I'll take all three please, too late for rush delivery before the holidays??? LOL. One question though, did I miss what glaze you used or did you use Dr. Chickens? As much as I like our brown sugar glaze I want to try something different this year.

thanks for the double smkoed hams they really look good .. going to try it for christmas dinner .. bigrod

I'll take all three please, too late for rush delivery before the holidays??? LOL. One question though, did I miss what glaze you used or did you use Dr. Chickens? As much as I like our brown sugar glaze I want to try something different this year.

I used Dr. Chicken's glaze, Buddy. I did not try the injection.

Some of my BBQ friends have done both and liked it, but the injection seems over the top to me.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom