Calling Uncle Bob - Tennessee Whiskey & Bourbon Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adillo303

Head Chef
Here is my dilemma.I seem to have acquired a taste for Tennesee whiskey. I will try to work up to Bourbon, I promise, For the moment, it has a bit more bite thatn I can enjoy. Maybe I am trying the worong brand.

Anyway, I have heard that you are enamoreed of George Dickel #12. I do not find it aroung here. I am currently enjoying a bottle of JD Single Barrel.I would like to try the Dickel.

Can Whickey be ordered vore the net? Or do you know a way to fing out if anyone in North Jersey stockes it.

TIA

AC

Adillo303 ------ Wines & Spirits can be ordered over the net -- However it all depends on your State's Laws --- Here in Mississippi I cannot ordered it due to it being a State Controlled Beverage --- Some bull about Taxes etc. So check your local law. Binny's in Chicago has a nice selection of Wines & Spirits, and they ship I believe.

Go to your local supplier, and ask if it is available!

George Dickel 12 and George Dickel Barrel Select are my go to Tennessee Whiskeys ....I have some JD Single Barrel, but it doesn't work well on my palate!

HTH

Uncle Bob - Thank You

Mav - Well, Yup! I had tow servers today, different locations that both decided to throw fits that I have not seen in 45 years of computer tech service. then one of them had the audacity to "fix" itself. You know that one will be back at an inopportune time. Yup! about a shot over ice.

AC

Here is my dilemma.I seem to have acquired a taste for Tennesee whiskey. I will try to work up to Bourbon, I promise, For the moment, it has a bit more bite thatn I can enjoy. Maybe I am trying the worong brand.

Anyway, I have heard that you are enamoreed of George Dickel #12. I do not find it aroung here. I am currently enjoying a bottle of JD Single Barrel.I would like to try the Dickel.

Can Whickey be ordered vore the net? Or do you know a way to fing out if anyone in North Jersey stockes it.

TIA

AC

Adillo,

I see that you are in Haledon, which, if memory serves me, is in the Paterson/Cliifton area. I am in the hinterland of NW NJ, and have no problem finding George Dickels--you have a lot more possibilities in your area. Just find a liquor store that carries more than the basics. As for JD, it is my fall-back drink in taverns where inquiring about finer whiskeys may provoke the hairy eyeball. Jack and Ginger is fairly universal, if mediocre. If you want a nice segue into the world of bourbon, I suggest Woodford Reserve. I have converted a number of friends from a dislike for bourbon to bourbon regulars by introducing them to Woodford. Have fun! :cool:

Adillo, I suggest Woodford Reserve. I have converted a number of friends from a dislike for bourbon to bourbon regulars by introducing them to Woodford. Have fun! :cool:

I second the motion. Go for Woodford. But, then, I would recommend it because it's a Kentucky product.:LOL: However, that not withstanding, it's really, really tasty.

I second the motion. Go for Woodford. But, then, I would recommend it because it's a Kentucky product.:LOL: However, that not withstanding, it's really, really tasty.

Absolutely, Katie! Back when Woodford started back up and before JD took over the distribution, it was only available in four states. A friend in Tennessee sent up a bottle to another friend in PA, which started a secondary part of a trip to a graduation that included a veritable odyssey of seeking ending up in Versailles and a peek at the Woodford works. Someday, if DC allows that long of a post, I'll tell the tale. Suffice it to say, I've had many a Woodford on someone else for telling the story!

I hope you can find it in Jersey! you have a way better liquor selection than we do here in the Peoples Republic... ahem.. Commenwealth of Pennsylvania... where we have to smuggle alcohol across the border if we want something other than the state chooses to buy.:rolleyes:

Uncle Bob - Thank You

Mav - Well, Yup! I had tow servers today, different locations that both decided to throw fits that I have not seen in 45 years of computer tech service. then one of them had the audacity to "fix" itself. You know that one will be back at an inopportune time. Yup! about a shot over ice.

AC

Adillo303 --- You're Welcome...
Woodford Reserve is a nice recommendation! Another one I often suggest to people who say that bourbon has to much "bite" is Makers Mark. Bourbon is by law 51% Corn -- Most are in the 70%-75% range -- After that Rye makes up the next largest percentage (in most bourbons) --then lastly malted barley. There are are a few bourbons whose "flavoring" grain is wheat instead of rye. It is my opinion that when one describes the "bite' in bourbon it is the rye that they are describing/experiencing/tasting -- With one of the bourbons that uses Wheat as the "flavoring" grain this "Bite" often goes away on some peoples palate...So give one of the "Wheaties" as they are called a try...Makers Mark is one. There are a few others.

Enjoy!! In Moderation!

I'm not a connoisseur like you guys, but Jim Beam does it for me.

Actually, I swore off any kind of whiskey for a long time, due to an incident that happened when I was in college (seems I got a little out of hand and got put on disciplinary probation), and I still treat it with great respect.

I don't know what kind of whiskey Southern Comfort is...I just know it as sippin' whiskey...but it sure is smooth.

Actually, SoCo is not a whiskey, but a whiskey-based liqueur.

Myself, I like most bourbons, ranging upwards pricewise from Jim Beam, I also drink Irish Whiskey and Scotch, depending on mood and availability. JD single barrel is a nice whiskey - and I don't usually like JD products.

If you want a superb way to enjoy some Woodford Reserve, check out the bread pudding served in the Oak Room of Louisville's Seelbach Hotel. I just want to crawl into the bowl and absorb the flavor.

I can't post the recipe because of copyright issues, but if you have a copy of Splendor in the Bluegrass cookbook, the recipe is there. Suffice it to say, the bread pudding is awesome.

I was hoping I could just go over to amazon and order that book, but it's out of print, and what is available is very expensive. :(
You couldn't email me that recipe, could you, Katie?

A few years back I went to a convention in Lexington, KY. Some friends of mine were already there and we agreed to meet in the hotel bar at 4 pm. I was there first and asked the bartender about Kentucky whisky. I asked him which was the best of what was on the shelf. He said the best wasn't there. He proceeded to take a set of keys from a ring on his belt, opened a locked cabinet under the bar and pulled out four bottles of stuff I had never heard of. I had a shot of each. By the time my friends got there I was feeling no pain. That was reaaaaaallllly good stuff. Best bourbon I ever had. Tasty and smooth and will give you a case of "who hit John". The next morning at breakfast when they brought eggas and bacon covered with white gravy was the kicker. And that's why I prefer single malt scotch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom