Ham & Swiss Quiche

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustMeToo

Head Chef
I make this often and it always is a hit. I switch it up but using all cheddar cheese or half swiss, half cheddar. I also have added green pepper. Great for breakfast, dinner with a salad or just a snack.

QUICHE - HAM AND SWISS CHEESE
5 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. Swiss cheese, cubed
1 c. milk
Dash nutmeg
1 (9 inch) pie crust
1/2 lb. ham, cubed
Line pie pan with crust. Fill it with the ham and cheese, alternating layers. (This can be done ahead and refrigerated.) When ready to bake, mix together remaining ingredients and pour into crust. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes or until knife inserted into center of quiche comes out clean. Serves 6-8.

I personally do not add the nutmeg only because I am not a fan of it in anything.

Last edited:
Looks great. Have you tried adding chopped asparagus or diced mushrooms to it to try something different?

Saute the mushrooms first! The variations on quiche could fill volumes. I had a quiche business a number of years ago and responded to all sorts of different additions. Keep is simple, just a few ingredients and you'll always have a tasty product.

sattie, try it. It is so simple to make and just have on hand. You can get up, slice a piece, pop it in the microwave and you have breakfast. Let me know if you make one.

Yea, I may have to give this a whirl... so you use a regular pie crust?

Ok... don't answer that, I just re read your post. Sounds tooo easy!!! Thanks for sharing!

Ok! I plan on having one by this weekend sometime... so I'll let ya know how it turns out!

Sattie I can't believe you've never had a quiche. I make this recipe at least once a month and you can add so many different variations to it. I prefer the 'swiss' with it and have also changed it using sausage, bacon, tomatoes, chopped fresh spinach, or whatever is in the fridge.
Great recipe. I can't wait to hear how you liked your first 'quiche'!

I just had a quiche for brunch... used sauteed onions, diced ham (leftover), frozen spinach (quick thawed under water, squeezed dry, chopped),combination of shredded cheddar and an Italian blend (was leftover, in the fridge)...
mmm...

Sattie I can't believe you've never had a quiche. I make this recipe at least once a month and you can make many variations to it. I prefer the 'swiss' with it but have used sausage, bacon, tomatoes, chopped fresh spinach, or whatever is in the fridge.
Great recipe. I can't wait to hear how you liked your first 'quiche'!

Sad to say.... never had a quiche, or if I did, I had no clue I was eating one. But it does sound wonderful... specially since you can taylor it to your liking. I'm looking forward to bakin one up for myself!

Sounds yummy Wyogal. With whatever you decide to add, just be sure that it is not something that contains liquid. Like you said, "squeese dry" the spinach. It will definitely ruin the quiche.

Sattie: For the best (not the easiest) crust, use pate brise. It bakes up so good I even use it for my fruit pies.

Food Processor Method

1 3/4 C Flour,
8 Tbsp COLD Butter,
1/4 tsp Salt,
6 - 8 Tbsp ICE Water

In the processor wiz the flour and salt; add Butter in small pieces and process 10 seconds, pulsing on and off. Add water, starting with 5 Tbsp and pulse. Add additional water as needed and process till dough forms ball on top of blade. By hand work into a ball and wrap in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour. Roll out while cold, place in pie tin or quiche form. Line with non-stick foil and dry beans or crust weights. Prebake 10 min at 350F, then fill and bake your quiche whenever you want. A little more work, but worth it.

This sounds good - I might try this Sunday with some of my leftover ham. I usually make an asparagus/swiss & bacon quiche that even my picky husband will eat. I love quiche and fritatta type dishes.

Sattie: For the best (not the easiest) crust, use pate brise. It bakes up so good I even use it for my fruit pies.

Food Processor Method

1 3/4 C Flour,
8 Tbsp COLD Butter,
1/4 tsp Salt,
6 - 8 Tbsp ICE Water

In the processor wiz the flour and salt; add Butter in small pieces and process 10 seconds, pulsing on and off. Add water, starting with 5 Tbsp and pulse. Add additional water as needed and process till dough forms ball on top of blade. By hand work into a ball and wrap in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour. Roll out while cold, place in pie tin or quiche form. Line with non-stick foil and dry beans or crust weights. Prebake 10 min at 350F, then fill and bake your quiche whenever you want. A little more work, but worth it.

I was thinking of doing this since I don't buy pie crusts. Thanks DtheB!

JustMeToo, do you prebake your pie crust?

I made this today and had a bit of trouble with sogginess. Not bad - just not quite as firm as I wanted it to be, even baking it an extra 10 minutes.

I put the crust in a 10" quiche dish. I put the chopped ham in on top of the crust, then put in some sauteed peppers, onions, and garlic (well drained), then a layer of very thin slices of zucchini and topped with 2 handfuls of shredded cheese. I mixed the 5 eggs and 1 c milk, and s&p and poured all over the veggies, ham, and cheese and baked at 350 for a total of 60 minutes (after checking at 45 & 55 minutes and it was not knife-clean in the middle). I let it "set" at room temp for about an hour before cutting it.

Just wondered if you have any tips for getting it to set up "firmer" - in case it matters we are at about 3500' elevation... ?

Back
Top Bottom