Question about countertops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leolady

Head Chef
I don't know if this is the right place but.....

I have a chance to buy some old real slate stone school chalk boards.

They are 48 by 48 inches. and they would be cut in half cause the counters are 24 inches deep. I would need 5 full boards to do my counters and backsplash behind the range and to cover the wall where the range used to be.

Since they are 4 feet wide, there would be very few seams. The green painted surface used by teachers would be the bottom and the clean stone back would be the top side.

Can you think of any reason why I should NOT use them on my counters?

Would you use this slate if it was priced reasonably?

I would use it, but, I don't know if there would have been any additives to the slate for what it was made for. I don't see anything that would keep it from being a nice counter though.

They said on a online site somewhere that you oil it regularly. I think that is all the sealing it needs....?

I can't imagine where you would find a less expensive countertop! But you MUST post pics when you get it installed! I would also be very careful about heat and cutting on it, slate is very brittle.

That is wonderful Linda!

That is just for the stone. I would have to pay to have the stone cut and installed.

But I hope the dark charcoal stone will look good against the pale yellow tile backsplash. The cabinets will be painted glossy white with jadite glass knobs.

The same place has recycled maple tongue and groove unfinished flooring pretty cheap too.

And I lust after the 14 foot long oak china cabinet they have! Maybe they have layaway!

A couple of questions and/or comments:

1. Are you replacing your existing counter tops or laminating this material over it? If replacing, then you'll need material that is at least 1-1/4" thick for structural strength. If laminating, you'll have to remove your sink and reset and resealed against leakage.

2. Most kitchen cabinets are 24" deep, and the counter tops are 25" deep in order to overhang the cabinets. Your calculations on how much material needed needs to take this into consideration.

I found a website for you to start your research. This site is a designer who has worked with slate, and explains some information you should consider.
The Kitchen Designer - Journal - Kitchen Countertops - Slate, Yes,*Slate!

I would do additional research using the Google phrase "slate for counter tops"

Personally, I prefer granite from a durability standpoint, but to each their own. If you plan on doing the work yourself, make sure you have all the details worked out before committing yourself to spending any money. Just because something is a deal, doesn't mean it's the best for a particular aplication. Also, from a resale point of view, I would stay with a more traditional material that would appeal to more buyers. Granite, solid surface materials like Corian, and traditional plastic laminates with plain and bevel edges are very safe for resale.

I install all of these materials, and in 30+ years have never seen slate in a kitchen or bath for a counter top.

Joe

Slate is s-o-f-t. Breaks easily. I used to be a roofing contractor in Pennsylvania. Lotta slate roofs. Think about what you do on your kitchen counters...I sometimes pound chickens with wine bottles...

Now I am really confused.

That site you gave me Joe says that slate is an excellent countertop but not used a lot for some reason.

I don't know what to do now!

It's too thin so would need support. Even with support, it could break if you drop a heavy object on it.
Cutting is not a simple task and could take special tools - which means more expensive installation
Since it is porous, it will stain if you spill on it.
If the contractor breaks a piece can you get more?

silly question... someone mentioned cutting on these... ...um... if you're not using a cutting board what would the knife sound like on the slate. I keep hearing finger nails on the chalk board????

Now I am really confused.

That site you gave me Joe says that slate is an excellent countertop but not used a lot for some reason.

I don't know what to do now!

The slate the link recommends is over an inch thick. That's not the same as a thinner piece slate cemented to a 1" thick underlayment.

"Poor chickens...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Sorry, it was there so I jumped at it. Yes, slate IS soft."

That's OK...I don't pound the ones who don't get into my wine...

I have not given up yet!

I will find a better alternative! Thanks for all the advice folks!

I have decided what I am going to do.

I found a source for white and gray veined marble at a real good price. Yes, I know it is soft and will stain, but remember I like the well worn vintage look.

I will store it until I save the money to have our local stoneworkers cut and install it.

Whatever countertop you choose, I wouldn't recommend cutting directly on it. Cutting on stone/ceramic/glass, etc. is the death knell to your knife edge. Stick with wood or plastic for cutting. Your knives will thank you.

You are right!

I have a free standing old maple butcher block table for cutting.

Note to self: Lay off the red wine.

Yeah, it won't be worn, just patinated.

Back
Top Bottom