Definitive Cannoli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
Is there such a thing? I mean I ate two distinct types over Christmas. One had a definitely ricotta type filling along with probably something sweet, like Grappa or some other sweet wine in there. The other the filling was more like cheesecake. This one had chocolate on the inside of the shell. Which one is more popular/authentic?

Traditional italian cannoli is made with ricotta, sugar and cinnamon oil. Candied citron, pistachios and chopped chocolate could possibly be added to that filling. The chocolate shell is an american invention.

IMO you should taste the ricotta and it should taste fresh... I dislike cannoi filled with any other variety of sticky sweet substance whatever it is they use in those nasty supermarket or catering cannoli bleh!

Traditional italian cannoli is made with ricotta, sugar and cinnamon oil. Candied citron, pistachios and chopped chocolate could possibly be added to that filling. The chocolate shell is an american invention.

I love the addition of chocolate and have also had cherries instead of the citron. Yum! I even have cannoli forms. I love cannoli. You just must fill them prior to eating or the shells get soft instead of stiff as they should be. That is one of my most favorite Italian desserts!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom