Can I put a pot in a pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
I'm using one of my extra large cheapo stock pots to make sauseege and peppers for 17 people. Only problem is it's thin guage so I have to keep attending to it, when I could be having a beer or making more food.

Can I put said pot into one of my good pans as a heat diffuser?

It just came back up to a simmer on the original temp. Seems to be working good so far.

I need one of those $$$$ pots...lol.

I'm using one of my extra large cheapo stock pots to make sauseege and peppers for 17 people. Only problem is it's thin guage so I have to keep attending to it, when I could be having a beer or making more food.

Can I put said pot into one of my good pans as a heat diffuser?

I make Italian sausage and peppers in a cast iron skillet. Brown the sausage first, remove then add the onions and green and red bell peppers. Saute for a couple of minutes, add a little wine, then put sausage and peppers in the oven for about 45 minutes at 350. Go have all the beer you want, you don't have to watch this.

DQ - I think you may have missed the part where he is cooking for 17 people. He is cooking quantity and unless he's got a HUGE DO, his stockpot is the size he needs.

I can see where a skillet under would work. You might want to add some water to your skillet as a diffuser/buffer from the heat. I know what a pain it is to try to actually "cook" in one of those stockpots, but, sometimes you just have to do it!

Thanks Gang.

What I actually did was sauteed the onion and peppers in batches in a 12" skillet first and dumped the batches into the El Cheapo stock pot. Meanwhile, I cooked the sausage (about 40 or so links) on the grill. I sliced the sausage and added it to El Cheapo along with more seasoning and the canned tomato.

KE, I was thinking about the water too...as an inslator I guess?..anyway, it seems to work just fine without it. Once everything came to temp, I was able to control the heat normally (as if the pan wasn't there). I think if you didn't have good contact between the pan and pot, adding water would definately fix that.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention, while it was simmering I was able to wash one of my bikes. :mrgreen: No burnt crud on the bottom of the pot either! :chef:

DQ - I think you may have missed the part where he is cooking for 17 people. He is cooking quantity and unless he's got a HUGE DO, his stockpot is the size he needs.

I can see where a skillet under would work. You might want to add some water to your skillet as a diffuser/buffer from the heat. I know what a pain it is to try to actually "cook" in one of those stockpots, but, sometimes you just have to do it!

Ahhh, didn't realize he was siimmering the sausage. I was referring to roasting method. I have made these for as many as 14 people but transferred from the skillet to a roaster. Sorry, my mistake.

Actually, I've never simmered my sausage in tomatoes, but I bought a package of Torentino Italian Sausage from Costco and there's a ton of sausages in the pack so I just might make some of those in tomatoes and simmer them. Good idea.

In case you decide to get yourself an actual, dedicated heat diffuser, I recommend the one I have. It's made by Kuhn Rikon and it's just a solid disc of anodized aluminum. Can't remember what it cost, but I don't think it was more than $20 and it's worth it, especially if you have big cheap stockpots (upgrading to the nice ones is expensive!).

Last edited:
I like the "stand in front of the stove staring at it while drinking a beer method", actually helps get me out of having to do anything else while it is cooking!

In case you decide to get yourself an actual, dedicated heat diffuser, I recommend the one I have. It's made by Kuhn Rikon and it's just a solid disc of anodized aluminum. Can't remember what it cost, but I don't think it was more than $20 and it's worth it, especially if you have big cheap stockpots (upgrading to the nice ones is expensive!).

Diffuser! That's the word I was looking for. Thanks Russ, I'll look into those.

I bought a cast iron roasting rack from Lodge that I can use as a heat diffuser. I have also set a smaller pan inside my big cast iron frying pan--especially useful for cooking steel cut oats, which are thick and have to simmer for 20 minutes.

I have a stainless stock pot by Invitations that would probably work for you, and it's not an expensive item... about $40 tops ( I got it as a gift from my mother and she would never spend more than that). I think its a 16 quart cap.... big anyway. It's got a heavy disk bottom that does a great job of diffusing and stabilizing the heat when simmering on my flattop range.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom