6th Day of the Master Dough...Pizza!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeV

Washing Up
DW asked what I wanted for dinner, so I suggested I make a homemade pizza from the Master Dough if she would go to the store to get pepperoni and mozzarella since we were out of both. She agreed and I pulled my cold sourdough from the fridge, cut off a chunk and rolled it out and placed it onto parchment paper dusted with cornmeal to fit my peel. It's amazing how easy it is to work with the loose dough (with a little flour) when it's 35 degrees F. I smeared some bottled spaghetti sauce on the dough, chopped up some sweet onion, put some bulk Italian sausage on one side for me and pepperoni for her. I preheated the stone for 1/2 hour at 450 then slid the pizza on it for 18 minutes. The crust was thin, crunchy and delicious, despite the lack of good looks.

img_755665_0_23d87391d662fa4f5eb7ad0bc6197815.jpg

If you have not tried this new method of keeping no-knead dough, you're missing out on an opportunity to be able to have no-knead bread ready to bake in about one hour, or pizza dough that can be taken from the fridge to the oven in 20 minutes.

Joe

Lack of good looks? Who you been hangin' out with? It's BEAUTIFUL! OK...who have I been hanging out with? :LOL:

I'll take a hunk off the darker side, please! :ermm:

I'll take a hunk off the darker side, please! :ermm:

That would be the peperoni side. For some reason it baked darker than the sausage side. Probably because the sausage was cold when it was put on.

Thanks, All, for the kudos. It's hard to beat homemade.

Hi Joe..here's a recipe for some good sauce to go with that homemade pizza dough

1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon oregano ( Greek!!)
5 cloves garlic
and ½ cup onion, diced and sauted in evoo
1/2 teaspoon fennel
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Directions:
Dice your garlic and onions. Then saute it in a little evoo. In the same pan add tomatoes and tomato paste. Add all the spices. Cook over medium heat until thick. Taste often, just so you can add more spices if needed.

Next time I'll grind up my tomatoes first so that the sauce isn't as chunky

Hi Joe..here's a recipe for some good sauce to go with that homemade pizza dough

1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon oregano ( Greek!!)
5 cloves garlic
and ½ cup onion, diced and sauted in evoo
1/2 teaspoon fennel
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Directions:
Dice your garlic and onions. Then saute it in a little evoo. In the same pan add tomatoes and tomato paste. Add all the spices. Cook over medium heat until thick. Taste often, just so you can add more spices if needed.

Next time I'll grind up my tomatoes first so that the sauce isn't as chunky

Sounds tasty to me just like it is. I like chunks of tomato.

If you have not tried this new method of keeping no-knead dough, you're missing out on an opportunity to be able to have no-knead bread ready to bake in about one hour, or pizza dough that can be taken from the fridge to the oven in 20 minutes.

Joe

Joe the Pizza looks great. I am always suspicious of these seemingly gimmicky recipes but with such strong recommendation from someone who is accomplished with bread making I am inclined to give it a try.

Pizza and bread have been on my mind alot lately because what is readily available locally for me is quite dismal. I have been thinking I need to learn how to make it but am not an experienced baker at all. Would this method be easy for someone who has little experience with bread/baking?

Sounds tasty to me just like it is. I like chunks of tomato.

Either way! It's good!!!! Paul likes a thinner sauce so I smash them up pretty well most of the time. I too like the chunks. I also find myself adding more and more garlic. :):):):)

Hi Joe - Did you post the "Master Dough" technique somewhere?

AC,

The only thing you really need to know about this "Master Dough" that makes it unique, is the fact that you refrigerate the dough after it raises and it will keep up to 2 weeks. The actual dough is nothing more than a double recipe of NYT dough that they use 1-1/2 T of yeast to get the dough to grow inside of 2 hours. It then goes in a covered bowl (not airtight) and sits ready for you to make bread, rolls or pizza on very short notice, and the results are very "French-like" as far crust & crumb.

That being said, I can't publish their recipe because it's in the book and I don't have permission to regurgitate it here. BUT, never let it be said that I adhere to anyone's recipe without tweaking it to my own liking. I make my versions of the dough as follows:

NYT Plain Version #1 (Mix in the morning before going to work)

6 C all purpose flour
3 C Warm water
1/2 t Instant yeast
1-1/2 T Kosher salt

Mix together in a 4.5 - 5 qt covered bowl (not airtight), put the lid on and let it sit on the counter for 6-10 hours. The dough should about double in size, but don't worry about that. Just put the entire container in the fridge to finish developing the gluten in what is termed a "cold proof" until the next day. The dough is now ready to be cold worked, and you can figure the rest of it out either by buying the book or going to the website and work some of their published recipes. It's really simple and will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks, and the flavor continues to build as time goes on.

NYT Sourdough Version #2 (Mix in the morning before going to work)

6 C all purpose flour
3 C Warm water
1/2 C Sourdough starter
1-1/2 T Kosher salt

Mix starter with the warm water until it's all blended, then add to the dry ingredients in a 4.5 - 5 qt covered bowl (not airtight), put the lid on and let it sit on the counter for 6-10 hours. The dough should about double in size, but don't worry about that. Just put the entire container in the fridge to finish developing the gluten in what is termed a "cold proof" until the next day. The dough is now ready to be cold worked, and you can figure the rest of it out either by buying the book or going to the website and work some of their published recipes. It's really simple and will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks, and the flavor continues to build as time goes on.

I envision folks finding that this will really expand their options to being able to have fresh NYT bread as often as they want to.

JoeV

I am allergic to tomatoes but would love to find a spinach pizza topping--I know it has marscapone and parmesan, a little nutmeg--anything else besides olive oil? I can't have pepper either.

I make pizza from scratch about once a week. I need to make 3 of them. I like everything, my wife is no sauce, and my son is only pepperoni. I make my own pizza sauce, and freeze it in one cup portions. It is regular marinara, and I run the hand blender through it. I have one son that is VERY PARTICULAR, and if he sees the onions, etc. he picks them out. Being a cook, and a man, I am very vulnerable to stupid appliances that never get used. The electric pasta maker is great to make pasta, but a pain to clean. We have a friend, who use to own a restaurant, that bought us a Pizzazz (I think it is called, or something close to that) last Christmas. It spends and cooks the pizza on the top and the bottom (depending on what is recommended). I have a pizza store and board, but have not used them in a year. No preheating the oven and the stone. If that thing broke tomorrow, I would run out to get a new one. They cook the pizza in about 16 minutes, and the crust is crisp, and the cheese and other topping are cooked perfectly. I cook them 4 minutes on just the bottom, and then switch it to 12 minutes on dual. As I said, I have more appliance gadgets then I know what to do with, but this thing works exactly as it states. By the way, that pizza looks great. I have never seen a pizza from a brick oven that is perfectly round. It looks delicious.

Master pizza dough-- link

DW asked what I wanted for dinner, so I suggested I make a homemade pizza from the Master Dough if she would go to the store to get pepperoni and mozzarella since we were out of both. She agreed and I pulled my cold sourdough from the fridge, cut off a chunk and rolled it out and placed it onto parchment paper dusted with cornmeal to fit my peel. It's amazing how easy it is to work with the loose dough (with a little flour) when it's 35 degrees F. I smeared some bottled spaghetti sauce on the dough, chopped up some sweet onion, put some bulk Italian sausage on one side for me and pepperoni for her. I preheated the stone for 1/2 hour at 450 then slid the pizza on it for 18 minutes. The crust was thin, crunchy and delicious, despite the lack of good looks.

img_764887_0_23d87391d662fa4f5eb7ad0bc6197815.jpg

Joe

Couldn't find it on your link, but got it here, hope it is the same one.
Candy

View Recipe

Couldn't find it on your link, but got it here, hope it is the same one.
Candy

View Recipe

Candy,

That link is not the Master Dough I was speaking of. It's in this post in this thread. The link you found is for dough you use the same day, but the Master Dough I work with is made ahead of time and resides in the fridge. As a matter of fact, I made a loaf of bread from it this morning and I made a pizza tonight and used up most of my refrigerated dough, so I made another batch and it will be ready in the fridge for bread, rolls or pizza dough for the next 10-14 days. Cold dough is a lot easier to work with and shape than the normal NYT loose dough when it is warm.

Joe

img_787998_0_23d87391d662fa4f5eb7ad0bc6197815.jpg

Joe

WOW Joe some beautiful stuff. Your pics are always amazing and inspiring

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes, right???? I haven't made anything from it. Just got the book and reading at the moment. I want to make this so badly but kitchen is in turmoil right now, and no space for anything but very simple, tiny stuff. In other words, from fridge to frying pan or pot, with no prep required. I hope this gets out of turmoil soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom