Winter Meals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lefty7887

Sous Chef
I am getting burned out with trying to plan what dishes we want to cook as winter meals. Anyone have any winter meals suggestions you would care to share. I have done the chilis, chicken soups, meatloafs to death... Just looking for some new ideas. What do you like to eat in the middle of winter? I am missing my grill about now. I may have to biuld it a shelter so I can use it in the winter :LOL:

TIA

Rick

I miss my grill too. Every time it warms up I get illusions of using it but then it is too cold at night to stand there.

I think Lasagna is a great winter meal...First you get to make the sauce all day... I love the smell of a ragu simmering on the stovetop... and then you get to put the thing together and bake .... resulting in crusty cheesy bubbly wonderfulness.. Something that you really dont want to make in summer at all either.

Risotto... being discussed in another thread always a good one... winter is the time to stand over a slow cooking pot of arborio slowly adding stock and stirring.

Enchiladas great too

When we have boarders (usually young male students with huge appetites, I like to do the following in the winter:

Beef dip sandwiches with fries
Lazy (or regular if I am up to it) stroganoff
Breakfast - pancakes, eggs, hashbrowns, meat (ham, bacon or sausage)
Chowders
Chili (do a big batch and freeze)
Hamburger soup
Meatloaf with roasted vegetables

There are many more, but that gives you an idea.

ITs never to cold to grill.

I love grilling more in the winter then the summer.

but my winter foods are usually italian

Lasanga
baked ziti
roasted turkey, chicken etc...
Meatloaf
chicken cutlets
chicken parm
homemade hamburger helper
meatballs and brown gravy
penne ala vodka

ill think of a few more

I'll shovel a path of snow to get to my grill.

I like summery dishes in the winter: Grilled fish with a fruit topping, kebobs, burgers, dogs....

Oh goodness - I much prefer cooking in winter than summer. SO many more choices!!

Braises like Chicken Marengo, Coq Au Vin, Chicken Hungarian Goulash, or Mushroom Stroganoff served over buttered egg noodles.

Hearty soups like Split Pea Soup with Smoked Turkey, Sherried Black Bean, Portuguese Kale & Turkey Sausage, Minestrone, a thick Seafood Chowder, served with some crusty artisinal bread on the side.

Italian favorites like Chicken Cacciatore, Baked Ziti, different varieties of lasagna.

Hearty Cassoulet, Paella, different varieties of Mac & Cheese.

Hearty meatloaves of every variety - old-fashioned, Italian, Spanish, stuffed - accompanied by good old mashed potatoes & a nice green vegetable.

These are just off the top of my head. The list is truly endless of dishes well-suited to the colder months. Frankly, I get tired with summer "grilling" VERY VERY quickly. Way WAY too boring for me.

I actually really like cooking in winter, because my husband is less keen to grill (not that he abandons it) and I actually get to make main courses. If I have the time, I like to do a nice lamb youvetsi or a long, slow stew.

I also find myself craving lighter dishes in the winter, possibly to "atone" for the heavy dishes that show up during the holidays. I wind up making a lot of curries and soups.

Pot roasts and other braised dishes
Stews - beef, lamb, chicken
Pot pies
Roasts
Soups
chowders
hearty pasta dishes - a Sunday ragu with meat balls, sausages and braciole
Goulash
Jambalaya
Gumbo
Chicken paprikash

Saute some onions and brown some chunks of chuck (floured). Once browned add nothing but porter beer. Top off with a bit of water, if necessary. Cook until done. Serve over mashed potatoes.

Simple baked chicken in the oven. My son's favorite is to simply slather on the yellow mustard, sprinkle with paprika, and bake until done. Thighs turn out the best!

Homemade mac and cheese

Pot of pintos and cornbread

Take a length of kielbasa and slice down the middle but not all the way through. Open it up a bit and top with a healthy portion of mashed potatoes. Top the potatoes with cheese. Bake at 350 until heated through (about 30 - 45 minutes)

Potato and kale soup

Broccoli/Cauliflower soup

I understand what you mean. With all our cold weather, I decided to make one of the ultimate comfort foods, homemade mac & cheese that I saw on "America's Test Kitchen" over the weekend. My whole family was disappointed, it didn't taste like mac & cheese at all - bleh.
I guess I'll stick with gumbo, rosemary pork loin roast w/garlic mashed potatoes, & lasagne lol

I understand what you mean. With all our cold weather, I decided to make one of the ultimate comfort foods, homemade mac & cheese that I saw on "America's Test Kitchen" over the weekend. My whole family was disappointed, it didn't taste like mac & cheese at all - bleh.
I guess I'll stick with gumbo, rosemary pork loin roast w/garlic mashed potatoes, & lasagne lol

I bet you baked it. I'm one of those that does not like baked mac and cheese. Just dump the pasta into all that homemade bechemel sauce/cheesy goodness and have at it! Even though there is a lot of cheese, sometimes more salt is needed.

I am getting burned out with trying to plan what dishes we want to cook as winter meals. Anyone have any winter meals suggestions you would care to share. I have done the chilis, chicken soups, meatloafs to death... Just looking for some new ideas. What do you like to eat in the middle of winter? I am missing my grill about now. I may have to biuld it a shelter so I can use it in the winter :LOL:

TIA

Rick

broiled ham and mozzarella cheese on hoagie rolls with italian dressing.
Use a descent smoked ham and sliced cheese. ham on one side cheese on the other, broil, dress with italian dressing. Awesome hot sandwich....

I also use my grill year round. Steak is always a good choice....

Oh my, I LOVE winter food! All manner of soups, stews, pasta dishes, both baked and otherwise, bean and rice dishes, slow braised meat dishes.

Growing up in Pa, my Mama used to make ham pot pie a lot in the wintertime. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a pennsylvania dutch recipe that is kinda like chicken and dumplins but made with ham. Potatoes (and sometimes green beans) are added. I haven't made it in years. I don't know what made me think of it.

I prefer "winter" cooking also, more choices. Any casseroles can be altered to your liking, try the salisbury steak recipe. Pot pie, Stuffed Peppers, stuffed cabbage, etc.

Thanks so much for the replies, keep them coming I may be able to finish my menu right through spring with all these ideas. ;) :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom