Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_ezy

Assistant Cook
Hi...My name is Earl. I followed a link from the Primo Grill Forum to here. I just ordered a Tojiro 240mm Gyuto. After doing a little more reading here it appears that I need a "glass smooth honing steel".

Can someone help me out with a specific product name, recommendation or even a link?

Thanks

Hi...My name is Earl. I followed a link from the Primo Grill Forum to here. I just ordered a Tojiro 240mm Gyuto. After doing a little more reading here it appears that I need a "glass smooth honing steel".

Can someone help me out with a specific product name, recommendation or even a link?

Thanks

Welcome aboard. Glass smooth steels are good for soft knives like Germans and French but not for Japanese. The reason is because the edges on soft knives will roll slightly and the smooth steel is used to straighten them out. Japanese knives, being much harder, tend to get micro chips but do not roll. For these you need either a fine ceramic steel or a borosilicate. They both work well for renewing the edge. Ceramics are found here, and the borosilicate rods are found on the same site under HandAmerican products.

Back
Top Bottom