Pork Loin Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PanchoHambre

Washing Up
Sales get me every time

I bought a 10lb Pork Loin... now I will never have use for that much pork at once:pig:

I cut it up into 2 roasts about 4-5 lbs each and 8 1" thick medallions which I packaged individually and froze.

Trimmed off the medallions were the fatty parts. The slab of fat as well as the marbeled portion. I placed these in freezer bags.... but what can I do with them?

The roasts I will probably use as such (one may meet the grinder and become chili)
The medallions will be grilled/schnitzeld/smothered in sauerkraut but I am sure there has to be some tasty culinary use for the cutoff parts.

Can I use the fat slabs to make lard to season my CI?

What can I do with the marbeled bits? I would hate to waste all that flavorful pork fat:pig:

I made plans for the loin when I bought it but not for the "extras"

I am also open to any good suggestions on cooking the roasts medallions.

I left the fat parts on the roast portions should I have?

How do I adjust cooking time for my mini roasts?

Thanks in advance!

I'd use it just like using bacon to season things.
In green beans, greens, when frying eggs, sauteeing onions for almost anything, etc etc.
Cut it all up then freeze it, and just break off what you need.

Try braising some of the loin; that's good too!

trimmings can be used in a stew like "stroganoff" or paprikash. Also in a soup or pot pie. Or make a chili or pasta sauce. (add garlic and fennel and you have Italian sausage flavor).

Fat can be used as bacon for larding or flavoring. If you have enough you can render out your own lard, but I doubt you do with a 10 pound loin.

I would use the extra fat pieces to lard the roasts!

oh leolady... now that's so wrong its gotta be wright;)

thanks for all the ideas! I knew I needed to hold on to the stuff just wasn't sure how to do it.

So far as braising the loin I had thought since this is a leaner cut than say shoulder it was better to cook quick at a high heat?

What would I braise it in. I have some bones from chops frozen too that I was going to use to make a pork stock w/fennel could I use this to braise?

:)I buy the pork loins and cut them into four pieces wrap each piece and freeze them. Since it's just DH and me it's too big to cook the whole thing. What do is what I did last night I cut the meat into four thick chops which makes them into (center cut pork loin chops) bread them and fry until just pink they come out great every time. You can also put a piece of bacon around the sides before cooking if you like.

:)I buy the pork loins and cut them into four pieces wrap each piece and freeze them. Since it's just DH and me it's too big to cook the whole thing. What do is what I did last night I cut the meat into four thick chops which makes them into (center cut pork loin chops) bread them and fry until just pink they come out great every time. You can also put a piece of bacon around the sides before cooking if you like.
I just did this last week and it was great! They were so tender and juicy. I didn't know about the bacon, though. I will definitely try that next time.

Sales get me every time

I bought a 10lb Pork Loin... now I will never have use for that much pork at once:pig:

I cut it up into 2 roasts about 4-5 lbs each and 8 1" thick medallions which I packaged individually and froze.

Trimmed off the medallions were the fatty parts. The slab of fat as well as the marbeled portion. I placed these in freezer bags.... but what can I do with them?

The roasts I will probably use as such (one may meet the grinder and become chili)
The medallions will be grilled/schnitzeld/smothered in sauerkraut but I am sure there has to be some tasty culinary use for the cutoff parts.

Can I use the fat slabs to make lard to season my CI?

What can I do with the marbeled bits? I would hate to waste all that flavorful pork fat:pig:

I made plans for the loin when I bought it but not for the "extras"

I am also open to any good suggestions on cooking the roasts medallions.

I left the fat parts on the roast portions should I have?

How do I adjust cooking time for my mini roasts?

Thanks in advance!

1. The pork fat can be used for a few different things. You can add small chunks of it to baked beans and legume soups (bean, split pea, lentil, etc.) to add flavor. You can cut small slits into very lean roasts and insert small slivers of the fat into the meat to add flavor and moisten it (this is called lardooning the meat). You can use the fat when grilling very lean meat over open fire (charcoal, or wood) to create the smoke that adds that famous charcoal grilled flavor to meat. If you render the fat carefully into lard, then you can season your CI as you suggested, or even use it in pie crusts and baking. It has less cholesterol than does butter, believe it or not.

2. The marbled bits can be cooked in a pressure cooker, or slow cooker to create pulled pork. The fat will render and the connecting tissue will dissolve into liquified collagen to add richness and texture to the meat. This needs to be cooked to a temp of about 190 to 200 degrees to make it work. And the marbled bits are even better in beans and soups than the pure fat.

3. As for the medallions, they are fairly lean and will need to be treated carefully. You can pound them thin and use them in rolladen or rolaides by rolling them around a filling, dipping in flour, then eggwash, then breadcrumbs, and baking until done. You can cut slits in them, forming a pocket, and then stuff and broil them. You can cook until just barely pink in the center and serve with smashed spuds or whatever you like. Another option for the medallions is to gently brown them in a skillet, and then cook them in a flavorful sauce. Just don't let the meat temp rise above 160 or they will start to toughen.

4. For the roasts, cook hot and fast, to an internal temp of about 145 to 150 degrees F. by meat thermometer. Cook in a 425 to 450 degree oven. You might cool the oven when the internal temp reads about ten degrees under the target temp, and glaze with something tasty, like a honey-mustard sauce. Another option is to cook the roasts after rubbing with your favorite dry rub mixture, and cook in a cooler oven, say 325, again until the thermometer reads about 150. You can also stuff the roasts with savory bread dressing, or fruit and bake until done. The key to this meat is to not overcook it. If you do, it will toughen and quickly dry out.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Now that picture looked GOOD Patty... im totally full and it made me want to go downstairs and make one...

Now that picture looked GOOD Patty... im totally full and it made me want to go downstairs and make one...

Actually I found a thread about them after I posted that. Search "Pork Fritter" , I think that was the title. More tips in there. It is in the pork section.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom