Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Quitting Smoking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/quitting-smoking-53753.html)

YT2095 12-31-2008 07:50 AM

Quitting Smoking

I`v had an idea, is there anyone else on here that`s planning to quit smoking this New Years eve?
apparently you`re more likely to succeed if you quit as a Group or with a partner (according to statistics).
so maybe we can use this thread to help each other out?

I`v been smoking almost exactly 30 years now, but the main "Traps" that have prevented me from quitting until now are mostly gone (my wife`s quit because she`s pregnant so I don`t have that pressure, and non of my friends smoke either now).

so how about it, shall we give it a go?

GB 12-31-2008 09:07 AM

When I finally quit smoking I did it with 2 other friends. Two of us were successful and I credit a large part of our success to having a friend to go through it with at the same time. We were able to lean on each other and complain to each other and support each other like no one else could. We got each other through the hard moments when we were at our weakest.

Join in people. Help each other out.

(and Merry X-mas and Happy New Year to you too YT!)

Luvs2Cook 12-31-2008 09:09 AM

I quit 9 years ago. Best of luck to you. Its not easy, but WELL worth it when you do quit.

RobsanX 12-31-2008 09:25 AM

I quit back in August. It was a great decision! I did it using Swedish Snus which is a smokeless, spitless, tobacco pouch that doesn't have all the cancer causing chemicals that cigarettes and American smokeless have.

Jeekinz 12-31-2008 10:09 AM

Good luck YT. It's been just over a year for me after 15+ years of smoking.

Alix 12-31-2008 10:24 AM

YT, first of all Congrats on the impending new edition! I didn't know about that! Second of all, there is a Social Group on here (I think) dedicated to quitting. I'm not sure how active it is, but it might be some help. Good luck!

sparrowgrass 12-31-2008 10:27 AM

I don't smoke, I have never smoked, but I am sending good wishes off to all of you who are trying to quit!!

Andy M. 12-31-2008 10:34 AM

Congratulations, YT, on your pending family addition.

Good luck with quitting, it ain't easy but you can do it.

Mama 12-31-2008 10:41 AM

Congratualtions on your new addition as well as your decision. I quit a little over 8 years ago after having smoked for over 25 years. Once you decide that you REALLY want to quit, you'll be able to. I tried the patch and the gum but it only worked for me when I had had enough and I just put them down and walk away.

Mama Gracie 12-31-2008 10:57 AM

I quit March 27th, 2008. I used Chantix for a few months and also read a book on quitting smoking. I had a small group online that defo helped. The group thing is a good idea and if I can help in some way, let me know. I smoked a pack a day for 20 years. It's hard, but doable.