New Years black eyed peas recipe help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pot clanger

Senior Cook
Hi All - been a while - I thought I'd ask around here if anyone has a recipe for black eyed peas they could share? It's been a long time since I had b.e.p. for New Years, and Lord knows I need some good luck this coming year! Thanks in advance, and blessings to you in the new year...:)

ham hock or smoked pork neck bones; smoked turkey wing. Broth. With greens if you like. Or make a BEP chili using beef and tomato and reg chili spices.

If they are dry -- I soak overnight, or at least several hours. I also pour off the soaking water, and start with fresh water. Some folks cook in the same water, some don't. Any seasoning meat will work, Hog Jowl being popular. You can also use bacon, salt pork, ham, smoked ham hocks, pork neck bones, pig tails, turkey legs, turkey necks etc. etc. I also like to add a little onion, and a little bell pepper. Lots of garlic, Salt and Pepper. A bay leaf or two, and a pinch og thyme can be good too!

Canned ones..I can't help...I prefer the dry beans to start..

Have Fun & Enjoy!

I think GB is originally responsible for this recipe, I made it yesterday. Last month I took it to a pot luck, and amid the din arose a question, "who brought the black eyed pea salad?, it is fantastic"..

Black Eye Pea Salad

2 cups black eye peas
4 oz. white onion - diced
6 oz. red bell peppers - diced
4 oz. black olives - chopped
1 tbsp oregano
4 oz. parsley
(great with cilantro too)

For the dressing:
6 oz. EVOO
Zest of half a lime
4 oz. white vinegar
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
Mix dressing in a separate bowl and pour over salad.
Adjust with salt and pepper to taste.

This is even better the second day.

I really like the recipe called "Texas Caviar" of which there are a cajillion ways to make it. However, for New Years, I just cook a pot of dried blackeyes after soaking and draining, with fresh water, salt, red pepper flakes and a hambone or some pieces of ham (we don't like jowl), and cook til tender. We serve it over steamed rice with chopped onion on top, and with cole slaw and corn bread. We usually have chicken, ham, or something like that with it, but this year I'm cooking a pork tenderloin to go with it.

Sure, but I couldn't list ALL of them here and Texas is the first one I made. Thanks for the reminder. I'm enjoying the corn bread.

:) Some places they also add greens like collard, mustard or any green which represents money to come to you as well.

:) Some places they also add greens like collard, mustard or any green which represents money to come to you as well.

Mmmmm!! Yes!!! I have a pot of mustard greens with turnip roots ready to go as a side dish. (or maybe the main dish) Yellow (for gold) cornmeal ready to make bread!! :pig:

Or you could do a "quick soak" where u boil them for 2 min then let them sit for an hour, then drain rinse and start cooking! I like to add salt, garlic powder, onion powder (or a whole onion), and everglade seasoning! also we make cornbread and deep fry Hog Jowls, and always some greens for posperity! Happy New Years!

Back
Top Bottom