Black Eyed Peas & Ham Hock Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, so I have the peas simmering and the ham hock is in the beans. What I don't know is am I supposed to break down the ham hock and put it in the beans? Am I supposed to chuck it and add some bacon? And is the water supposed to absorb? I put what the recipe called for and when I checked the peas after 20 minutes, the water is quickly absorbing. Should I add more of the water I reserved from cooking the ham hocks?

Any help would be appreciated. I've got about an hour and a half left to figure this out.

The water does not all absorb. Just keep the ham hock in with the peas while they cook. Once the peas are done remove the ham hock. There will be a little bit of meat somewhere in there in the middle. Remove that, shred it or chop it, and add it back to your peas.

Without water the peas won't cook properly.

The ham hock usually takes a long time to cook - it may not be tender after 1 1/2 hours.

I cooked the ham hock for 1 1/2 hours before putting it in the peas and then it will get 2 more hours with the peas for a total of 3 1/2 hours. Should that be enough?

Thanks. Hopefully these work! Next I'm tackling turnip greens (that I thought were collard because that's what the sign said). Those seem way more simple than the BEP.

I've only cooked collards. I'm a fan of not cooking so long. Most people will cook collards for a couple to a few hours. I'm in the 45 minute range depending how many are in my pot. I season my water with a bit of beef broth - adds a really great flavor. I'm just not so sure about the turnip greens, sorry.

Well, the recipe on the package calls for 45 minutes like yours and cooking some bacon in the pan before adding the greens and water. It's worth a try, how bad can anything with bacon be?

Okay, the potential is there but the peas are missing something. They could just use more flavor, as could the greens. I posted a picture in Uncle Bucks thread.

Needs something?

Okay, the potential is there but the peas are missing something. They could just use more flavor, as could the greens. I posted a picture in Uncle Bucks thread.
Callisto, usually for a small package of frozen peas I use a can of chicken broth, large clove minced garlic, one bunch green onions and three slices of bacon or a couple ounces of salt pork, salt and pepper. It's about the same ratio for fresh peas. With those ingredients, you can make all those frozen peas taste outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom