OK.. I thought I had a pork loin recipe I wouldn't change... wrong!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
I have been dry roasting my pork loins in the oven with varied spices and it is very good. When I camp and make pork loin, I use a red pepper relish over the top and cook on charcoal. I guess this would be a variation on that, just open roasted in the oven.

Tonight, I cooked a loin and it may be the best so far. I lightly seasoned the loin with some seasoned salt top and bottom then placed it on a flat pan, fat side down. On top I spread a very thick layer of raspberry jalapeno jam. I have found if you cook fat side up, the crust that form slides off when you cut the roast. This way the crust stays with the meat.

I started the roast at 500F for 15 minutes then turned it down to 260 for 1.5 hours. It was at 142F in the center when I pulled it out.

Wow... the raspberry jalapeno candied down to this wonderful coating, not too sweet and no spice heat at all. The flavor is so nice, very juicy and tender. I figured I would be putting the jam over cream cheese and serve with crackers. I tried it on the loin on a whim.. Wow... now I am wondering what other jams would make a great roasting glaze.....

OMG!! My daughter made 4 pork loins for Christmas Dinner and that's exactly what she used -raspberry/jalapeno jelly. I thought hmmmm, not so sure. Well, let me tell you they were the BEST I've ever had. Sometimes she can teach ME a thing or two.

Our oven doesn't get up to 500. DH says 450 is as high as it will go.

I think your method sounds great, although I hate to see that good fat to go to waste. But you're right...the jelly would slide right off. I'll bet you got some good juice in that pan for a sauce or a gravy!

Our oven doesn't get up to 500. DH says 450 is as high as it will go.

I think your method sounds great, although I hate to see that good fat to go to waste. But you're right...the jelly would slide right off. I'll bet you got some good juice in that pan for a sauce or a gravy!

Actually, there is enough fat left roasting this way you can take it, render it down a bit in a skillet and make your gravy from that. Adding the drippings from the pan brings that flavor up even more, but used straight, the drippings are pretty strong with the jam flavor.

oh.. 450 will work too..
I have found starting it this way then turning it down the meat remains very moist and nicely crusted. I don't tent or cover the roast.

OMG!! My daughter made 4 pork loins for Christmas Dinner and that's exactly what she used -raspberry/jalapeno jelly. I thought hmmmm, not so sure. Well, let me tell you they were the BEST I've ever had. Sometimes she can teach ME a thing or two.

Now THAT is coincidence! and I'm hooked!

Jeff... your timing on the loin works perfect... made a glaze w/ hot mustard powder& honey... followed your timing/temp... perfect w gravy and cornbread.

I have some guava jelly im gonna spice up and try on the next one

Jeff... your timing on the loin works perfect... made a glaze w/ hot mustard powder& honey... followed your timing/temp... perfect w gravy and cornbread.

I have some guava jelly im gonna spice up and try on the next one
Awesome.. Glad it worked for you too.
Guava jelly... hmm.. never tried that one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom