Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Fruit & Nuts (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Pears, blue cheese and walnuts (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f30/pears-blue-cheese-and-walnuts-53864.html)

Oceanwatcher 01-02-2009 04:14 PM

Pears, blue cheese and walnuts

I am aware of a few other threads about pears, but I am looking for a bit more specific things.

In my mind, pears go well together with blue cheeze and walnuts. And I am thinking it should be possible to find a recipe for a cheezcake or a pie that combine these three things. But so far, my searches has not preoduced anything worth trying.

Does anyone here have a recipe that uses these three things?

PanchoHambre 01-02-2009 04:18 PM

With that combo you really don't have to do anything.. they are really nice together...Slice the pears, crumble the nuts on top of the cheese, drizzle with honey and serve.. maybe with some crusty bread or crackers.

kitchenelf 01-02-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oceanwatcher (Post 760135)
I am aware of a few other threads about pears, but I am looking for a bit more specific things.

In my mind, pears go well together with blue cheeze and walnuts. And I am thinking it should be possible to find a recipe for a cheezcake or a pie that combine these three things. But so far, my searches has not preoduced anything worth trying.

Does anyone here have a recipe that uses these three things?

I have a recipe at home for a blue cheese cheesecake. I will PM you with it around 6:00-ish or a bit sooner. It doesn't use those 3 things specifically, but, that's what cooking is all about!

PieSusan 01-02-2009 04:21 PM

Legal Seafood serves a mesculin salad with the three--the walnuts are candied.

Oceanwatcher 01-02-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitchenelf (Post 760140)
I have a recipe at home for a blue cheese cheesecake. I will PM you with it around 6:00-ish or a bit sooner. It doesn't use those 3 things specifically, but, that's what cooking is all about!

Great! That sounds like something that can be adapted. Maybe pear halves under the cheese filling and toasted walnuts on top...

A salad is of course also an option, but this time I was looking for something sweeter :-) Trying to make the most of some local ingredients.

Callisto in NC 01-02-2009 05:49 PM

I use the combo with Spring Greens and a Balsamic Vinegar dressing. It's awesome!! It's sweet and savory.

kitchenelf 01-02-2009 06:45 PM

Oceanwatcher - I am not going home as early as I thought, but, I will send this recipe later tonight. I was thinking more of some sort of cracker/walnut "crust", with a few walnuts thrown in the mixture and the pears on top, cut in slices, just randomly placed all over the top.

Oceanwatcher 01-02-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitchenelf (Post 760261)
Oceanwatcher - I am not going home as early as I thought, but, I will send this recipe later tonight. I was thinking more of some sort of cracker/walnut "crust", with a few walnuts thrown in the mixture and the pears on top, cut in slices, just randomly placed all over the top.

I'll pick it up whenever it comes. That version sounds like a good idea as well. Have to try it :-)

DramaQueen 01-02-2009 07:51 PM

I make a dynamite salad using baby spinach, canned pears, walnuts, and blue crumbled blue cheese. I make a poppyseed dressing. Sometimes I add dried cranberries to this salad and it really makes it visually pleasing as well as adding to the flavor. I made this for dinner a few nights ago but used apple slices instead of pears.

Oceanwatcher 01-02-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DramaQueen (Post 760454)
I make a poppyseed dressing.

Never heard of this before. Do you have a recipe?