Tonight it's Garnacha!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My fav's are Merlot and Chardonnay, not only to drink but to cook with as well! It seems that the majority of the dishes that I make call for wine. It adds great flavor!

I would like to try "real" wines, but, dh isn't a drinker, especially wine, any longer and I can't see spending the money on wines that I may not like, lol
It will be interesting what is put here. I'm glad ya'll added it.

I'm not familiar with this, Vicky. Can you elaborate?

I like Cabernet Sauvignon and some of the Shiraz that are on the market.

Katie - garnacha is the Spanish name for grenache. Origins for a change probably in Spain as opposed to France. :ermm: It has a pleasant fruity quality and stands alone quite nicely (especially old vine grenache/garnacha), but, is mostly added to blends to include my favorites, Chateauneuf du Pape, Gigondos, and Cotes du Rhone wines. They aren't meant for aging (which works out perfectly :-p), can have a cherry note or even a plum note to it. The vintner is Masia d Bielsa. It really does have a more refined character to it than a lot of garnacha's/grenache's. The one I am drinking has a nice cherry nose and a very ripe plum finish. I taste the plum skin right on the finish and the finish is nice and long! They are not usually expensive...the one I have retails at $11.99 I think.

I paired my Garnacha with "Patatas A La Riojana" - a basic peasant dish from Spain. It uses very basic staples of the spanish kitchen - Spanish dry cured chorizo (not mexican, not fresh), potatoes, spanish pimenton (like a paprika), onions, garlic and water. Cut the chorizo into chunks (if you cant find Spanish, try a hard italian salami or even pepperoni cut into chunks - NOT ground Mexican chorizo), saute chunks in some olive oil until it gives off its reddish hue unto the oil.... then add chopped onions and garlic, stir through until sweated, not browned... add chunks of raw russet potatoes (1-inch cubes, preferably not evenly cut) and stir to coat in the oil throughout... when all warmed through, add some pimenton, then immediately add water to cover, bring water to a boil (no lid) and salt lightly. Allow to simmer so that the potatoes are cooked fully through and start falling apart, the water has combined with the potato starch and most has evaporated. The result should not be soupy but more stewlike. It is quite divine!

I paired my Grenacha with "Patatas A La Riojana" - a basic peasant dish from Spain. It uses very basic staples of the spanish kitchen - Spanish dry cured chorizo (not mexican, not fresh), potatoes, spanish pimenton (like a paprika), onions, garlic and water. Cut the chorizo into chunks (if you cant find Spanish, try a hard italian salami or even pepperoni cut into chunks - NOT ground Mexican chorizo), saute chunks in some olive oil until it gives off its reddish hue unto the oil.... then add chopped onions and garlic, stir through until sweated, not browned... add chunks of raw russet potatoes (1-inch cubes, preferably not evenly cut) and stir to coat in the oil throughout... when all warmed through, add some pimenton, then immediately add water to cover, bring water to a boil (no lid) and salt lightly. Allow to simmer so that the potatoes are cooked fully through and the water has combined with potato starch and has evaporated. The result should not be soupy but more stewlike. It is quite divine!

Okie dokie - I have just printed that! I fully understand about the chorizo. Back when I wasn't aware of the difference it was quite a shock when I bought Mexican chorizo. :(

Okie dokie - I have just printed that! I fully understand about the chorizo. Back when I wasn't aware of the difference it was quite a shock when I bought Mexican chorizo. :(

Do try to find a Spanish chorizo though (as opposed to an italian). I am aware of a website latienda.com which carries them, although somewhat expensive... but it does make all the difference in the world!! You could try calling or going to a Spanish restaurant in town and calling to see if they can tell you how they get theirs. You can also search online for some recipes for Patatas A La Riojana, but I have seen numerous that ask for a lot more ingredients... in these traditional peasant dishes, the fewer ingredients, the better!

Do try to find a Spanish chorizo though (as opposed to an italian). I am aware of a website latienda.com which carries them, although somewhat expensive... but it does make all the difference in the world!! You could try calling or going to a Spanish restaurant in town and calling to see if they can tell you how they get theirs. You can also search online for some recipes for Patatas A La Riojana, but I have seen numerous that ask for a lot more ingredients... in these traditional peasant dishes, the fewer ingredients, the better!

I have bought from La Tienda before. I can find true Spanish chorizo around here though. Their Jamon ham was QUITE tasty!

I'm a "fewer ingredients" the better person, myself. I may look some recipes up, but, I'm making yours!

Back
Top Bottom