What to pair with Delmonico or Ribeye steaks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finca, if you're willing to get out of California, you can find all manner of excellent wines (robust reds are what I'm talking now) from Spain, Portugal, the South of France, Chile, and Argentina that cost under $20 and are fine drinking. It is easy, imho to find a good wine for $20 and up. I enjoy the sport of finding excellent wines for under that price. How else can one afford to have wine with dinner every day? ;)

Actually, I almost never drink California wines anymore except when I'm travelling back in the States because price and availability are very limited in Costa Rica.

On the other hand, we get a lot of good South American wines here at very reasonable prices. I didn't recommend one because I don't know which ones are available in the US. The Chilean Escudo Rojo you recommended is excellent.

Another Rothschild wine, from Argentina, that I really like is Amancaya Malbec/Cabernet. I don't know availability or pricing in the US, but here it's only a couple of dollars more than the Escudo Rojo.

Many of the Chilean wines from Viña Carmen are also outstanding. They are the oldest vineyard in Chile and have been named winemaker of the year multiple times by Wine & Spirits magazine. Their Reserve Carmenère-Cabernet Sauvignons are especially notable in my opinion.

Having said all of that, I still stick by my original recommendation for a good California Zin!

Soo many ideas it will take me all year to try them all out, LOL!!

I think I will start with Finca's recommendation of a California Red Zinfandel. I can go up to Whole Foods and ask the guy there for a good one to try out. And it has Elfies stamp of approval so you know its just gotta be good!!

I think some of you connoisseurs should maybe start up a thread about your favorite pairings, and maybe one for new discoveries...

You might want to try a red Malbec red wine - these are wines made in South America and you can't go wrong. They are a great value also. I've had malbecs from Chile and Argentina - very good, great body and I think the most expensive one was $15.

You might want to try a red Malbec red wine - these are wines made in South America and you can't go wrong. They are a great value also. I've had malbecs from Chile and Argentina - very good, great body and I think the most expensive one was $15.

Yeah! Try this one: 2006 Susana Balbo Malbec: http://www.vineconnections.com/reviews in PDF format/BAL Malbec.pdf

Her "Crios" line is less expensive and is also very good. 2006 and 2007 vintages are the only ones I've tasted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom