Arlene Buckholtz's Raspberry Squares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
Mrs. Buckholtz was my mom's best friend and she died in her 40s of breast cancer. She was a wonderful cook and baker. In other words, she was a balabusta.

Arlene Buckholtz's Raspberry Squares

Ingredients:
1 large egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sweet butter
1 Tablespoon milk
8 Tablespoons seedless raspberry jam

Topping Ingredients:
1 large egg
4 Tablespoons sweet butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups (1 can) coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
Sift flour, baking powder and work into butter until mealy. Stir in beaten egg and milk. Mix well. Spread over ungreased 8-inch pan. Cover with jam.
Topping: Beat egg, stir in sugar and rest of ingredients. Pour over jam. Spread evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool and cut.

The raspberry squares sound delicious. I love anything raspberry and hate the fact that we can't grow them here. I wish someone would develop a variety that we could grow. Thanks for the recipe.

Sorry for the scare Alix. Arlene passed away from breast cancer when I was a very little girl. I use to love going over to her house and she was a good baker.

.... she was a balabusta.

(Where's Buckytom when you need him? :LOL:)

Anyway, Susan, those sound fabulous and I've copied and saved the recipe to make for my mother, as she LOVES anything of a raspberry nature.

What is the coconut? Unsweetened coconut milk or shredded?

Lee

QSis, its the shredded stuff. I've made this recipe (or its identical twin) and I used sweetened shredded stuff.

Me either, but stranger things have happened. Lets face it, I've never seen grits either so clearly my experience is limited.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom