ISO subs for maple syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can buy a sugar free syrup that is pretty good. That's what I use when watching my sugar intake. I think it's in a green-ish bottle.

Any syrup you make is going to have tons of carbs in it. I would just use a "B" grade maple syrup, which is cheaper, and has a more pronounced flavor than "A" grade maple syrup. This allows you to use less for the same amount of flavor.

Another trick you can use is to make a spread of nuefachatel cheese, Splenda, and Maple extract. This will give you a low-fat, maple spread that is sweet and delectable. You could also mix maple extract and Splenda with low-fat marscapone cheese, or even yogurt. Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

This depends both on the recipe & why you need/want a substitution.

If it's a Weight Watcher's recipe, then the calorie count can't be all that high, so I'm assuming you don't want a sub for the calories. If it's a recipe that definitely depends on the maple syrup for maple flavoring, then the only subs would be some type of artificial maple flavoring. If all you want is sweetness, then I imagine corn syrup would work.

not sure how this works for weight watchers but I asked DH's gramma this question once......

she said make a simple syrup and add maple flavoring (like I had that on hand!!!!)

bless her soul she brought us some maple flavoring the next week. still have the bottle and will never let it go.

bottle says for instant syrup use 1 cup boiling water poured over 2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp flavoring and stir....

for "thick syrup"
2 TB water 1/4 c sugar 1 1/2 c corn syrup 1/2 tsp flavoring boil 2 min.

my guess would be the 1st way is the more "maple-ey" way. #2 for pancakes.
HTH.

but it probably doesn't.

not sure how this works for weight watchers but I asked DH's gramma this question once......

she said make a simple syrup and add maple flavoring (like I had that on hand!!!!)

bless her soul she brought us some maple flavoring the next week. still have the bottle and will never let it go.

bottle says for instant syrup use 1 cup boiling water poured over 2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp flavoring and stir....

for "thick syrup"
2 TB water 1/4 c sugar 1 1/2 c corn syrup 1/2 tsp flavoring boil 2 min.

my guess would be the 1st way is the more "maple-ey" way. #2 for pancakes.
HTH.

but it probably doesn't.

My grandmother made this syrup...It was called Mapleine...an imitation flavoring...I ate a many pan of biscuits with it as a kid!! I loved it, and have several bottles in my bunker.

A 12 ounce bottle is a about $2.35--I don't consider that too bad and was well worth it for my diabetic mom.

I used to make a simple syrup and add maple extract for my boys when they wanted pancakes and we had no maple syrup (often).

If I wanted a substitute for a diabetic, I'd use an artificial sweetner, not sugar or corn syrup, they are too fast acting as a sugar/carb.

I'd melt some artificial sweetner (splenda or better stevia--you can grow stevia in your gardens) in a little water and add some maple extract.
If you have any health concerns about splenda, read here:
Artificial sweeteners: A safe alternative to sugar? - MayoClinic.com
I like the stevia in natural form crushed, but, it does have a slight 'tea like' taste to it (from the leaves). It's available in liquid forms in some health food stores.

From past experience, sugar free fudge or sugar free jelly bellies use maltitol. That can cause stomach upset and enough gas to power your car. Putt putt putt.:LOL: Don't ask me how I know.

Back
Top Bottom