Keeping shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
Grocery store had a sale on bags of frozen shrimp, buy one get one free. I bought and thawed for Christmas day. Only ate one bag. The other bag is still in the fridge unopened. Should I toss it? Can I refreeze? TIA

Well, 10 days is usually an auto toss fo me, if they do not stink at all and are not slimy you might make a bisque or something, but I think I would probably toss em, regardless of whether they are cooked or raw.

When in doubt, throw it out.

Toss 'em.

For next time, don't defrost ahead of time. You can defrost shrimp in a matter of minutes under cold running water. I routinely grab a couple of servings of shrimp out of a bag in the freezer and set them up to defrost in cold water. They are ready to go by the time the rest of dinner prep is done.

DO NOT OPEN THE BAG!!! Trust me on this one. Have been around the stuff all my life. You will have an unbelievably bad ammonia smell. Leave the bag in the fridge until the morning that the trash is picked up. I have a fridge that I keep just for seafood peelings. My trash is picked up on Saturday and Wednesday mornings. If we have boiled seafood on Saturday or Sunday, it would sit until Wednesday. By Monday afternoon, the stench and flies would be unbearable.

Definitely TOSS. Completely non-negotiable in the interest of your health & well-being.

If raw seafood isn't cooked within 48 hours, it goes out with the trash here. As far as frozen goes, I never thaw it until just before cooking.

Thanks all. I planned on having them during the holidays but after christmas day, we were travelling. We were going to have them then on New Year's but somehow with all the other stuff, we just didn't get around to them. They will go out in the garbage. I don't feel too bad since it was a buy one get one free deal.

Back
Top Bottom