Anyone know where to purchase Elderberry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfurry

Assistant Cook
I found a recipe that calls for either 2 oz. of dried elderberry heads or 12 fresh elderberry heads. Anyone have any clue where to purchase this ingredient?

I don't think you can buy them.

I see elderberry bushes all the time wild on the roadsides in Kansas. They bloom and fruit in June. You have got to beat the birds to them.

That really stinks. I guess I could just buy some Elderberry liqueur and give that a try.

I have never seen them in the stores. We always picked them in the wild. we used to make elderberry pie. Lots of picking, but terrific flavor. Most of the patches we picked in as kids are now subdivisions. Sometimes progress stinks.

I keep saying I will pick some every year, but then I see the weeds are 3 or 4 feet high in the elderberry patch.

I change my mind. I am terrified of snakes.

Have you checked any Farmers market's?

How about berry farms? Not sure if theres any near where you live, but you might get lucky with a google search. Not that the farms would specialize in elderberries, but they might have plants growing near their location or know other growers who have them.

They grow wild in PA, had neighbors who would make elderberry wine in the summer/fall.

Back
Top Bottom