Mayonnaise without raw eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
I want to make mayonaise without using raw eggs. I've heard you can substitute raw eggs with evaporated milk, but in my local supermarket they only seem to have evaporated milk with sugar. Is there something else I could use instead of evaporated milk to make mayonaise?

If your raw egg issue is one of food safety, you can use pasteurized eggs in your mayonnaise.

The thread is OK in this forum.

Evaporated milk is usually unsweetened while condensed milk is sweetened. I can't say if the E-Milk will do the trick.

I'm afraid I couldn't get the link to transfer here, but do a websearch for "Julia Child Cooked Egg Mayonnaise". I haven't tried the recipe myself yet, but do know some raw-egg-wary folks who swear by it.

Thank you Andy!! My computer is, for some reason, misbehaving this morning & refused to allow me to copy that darn link!!

Mayonnaise (Cooked)

2 egg yolks -- large
2 tablespoons vinegar -- or lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Dash pepper
1 cup vegetable oil

1. In small saucepan, stir together egg yolks, vinegar, water, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper until thoroughly blended. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles in 1 or 2 places. Remove from heat. Let stand 4 minutes.
2. Pour into blender container. Cover and blend at high speed. While blending, very slowly add oil. Blend until thick and smooth. Occasionally, turn off blender and scrape down sides of container with rubber spatula, if necessary. Cover and refrigerate if not using immediately.

Yield: 1 1/4 cups

If your raw egg issue is one of food safety, you can use pasteurized eggs in your mayonnaise.

The thread is OK in this forum.

Evaporated milk is usually unsweetened while condensed milk is sweetened. I can't say if the E-Milk will do the trick.
Thank you Andy. Here in the Netherlands certain things that are very common in the US are hard to get. It's a difference of culture. Even pasteurized eggs are hard to get. I've read that people didn't buy the pasteurized eggs so supermarkets stopped selling them. Of course there must be places where they are available, but it's not like in the US...

Thank you Andy. Here in the Netherlands certain things that are very common in the US are hard to get. It's a difference of culture. Even pasteurized eggs are hard to get. I've read that people didn't buy the pasteurized eggs so supermarkets stopped selling them. Of course there must be places where they are available, but it's not like in the US...

It's not just you Argamemnon - here in my area of Virginia, pasteurized eggs in the shell are a thing of the past. Several supermarkets carried them for a couple of years, but that went by the wayside about 3-4 years ago. Sad because I really enjoyed using them for sauces & things when I was cooking for guests - especially youngsters & elderly folks. But I guess the market just wasn't there.

I am responding to the message regarding using pastuerized eggs. I am not familiar with the Netherlands but we can purchase pasteurized eggs in the US. I have an eldeerly relative with a compromized immune system and kids who love to scrape and lick the frosting (made with raw eggs) from the bowl. I began using pastuerized eggs to avoid Salmonella. Possibly you might check out safeeggs.com to find a location in your area to purchase them. I also got discount coupons there.

Alice

Pasteurized shell eggs

I guess you don't live near a Harris Teeter store in Virginia. They sell Davidson's eggs -- sometimes you have to ask, but they can get them for you. It's a shame though; I think safe food products should be available to everyone. You should bug the people where you shop to sell them.

Actually we do have a fairly new Harris Teeter about 40 minutes away, & one of the first things I checked was whether or not they carried the pasteurized eggs - lol!! No go, but I didn't ask.

We also just had a Wegman's open a couple of months ago, & they didn't have them either. But again, I didn't ask.

Guess I'll have to do some in-store requests & see where that leads me.

I doubt if you could do that in a home kitchen. I would anticipate that irradiating an egg would pasteurize it. I'm sure studies are being done to do it, if not done already in some areas. So far I think it is only done with cooked food.

Pasteurized eggs

Don't try this at home.

The company that pasteurizes them in the shell does it with warm water. But it took the guy ten years to figure out how to do it and it's patented.

Check out the Davidson's Safe Eggs site.

I don’t know a single supermarket here in the Las Vegas valley that sells pasteurized eggs, and I’ve looked. I tried doing it myself, with my Anova, but it was a dismal failure! I still think it could work, if I fiddle with the temp and time. I don’t have the motivation for it, though, right now.

I haven’t tried it yet, but another chef posted a suggestion for cooked egg mayo. That might work. The poster couldn’t post a link; here it is, along with some commentary: Eating for Two: Julia Child's Cooked Egg Mayonnaise Recipe | Serious Eats
Please let me know if you make it! If I make it before you, I’ll let you know how it turns out!

Back
Top Bottom