How safe is making your own gravlaks/gravlax?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i have a nice piece of coho salmon sitting in my fridge that i was thinking of making into lox, or more specifically gravlaks (gravlax). curing it in just a simple mix of salt, sugar, black pepper, and dill.

i've read that freezing the fish for 7 days is enough to kill any parasites, but i was wondering if anyone has had any experience in making their own.

My mil makes her own gravlax at least once a year. She has never had any issues and it tastes very nice. I don't believe taht she freezes it but I can ask some questions if you have any others.

BT, if you're concerned about parasites, freeze and thaw the salmon before making the gravlax. That aside, you should have no issue with making it at home. Get good instructions and follow them.

I've seen several TV chefs prepare this dish and don't remember any cautions or warnings. With all that salt and sugar, preservation shouldn't be an issue.

I'd be happy to test it out for ya BT once you got it made!!! :-p

I think it could be done, I saw an episode of Alton Brown where he made gravlax.... it looked easy enough.

Let us know how it turns out.

thanks minibro, andy, and sattie.

i have to pick up some dill, but i will be making this tomorrow. since it's only for me, i'm gonna risk it and not frezze the salmon.

i figure about 3 to 4 tbsps of kosher salt, 2 tbsps of brown sugar, 2 tsps of black pepper, and a load of dill.

ok, next question: should i skin it, or leave the skin on and just score it? should i weight it down? should i turn it after a day or two?

i've read many different recipes with various suggestions.

I've never made it but when I've seen it made, it was with the skin. Not scored. The skin shouldn't be a problem as it's not being cooked. When I've seen it made, it is wrapped in plastic wrap and weighted.

When it's done, you carve it starting at the tail end and back your way up the filet.

I can't speak to the spice quantities.

Buckytom - my parents have been making it for years without any problems.

One thing I'm concerned about is that it sounds like you're just "winging it" as far as the recipe. You're approximating the ingredient amounts required to cure the fish, don't know whether to skin or not, weight or not, you don't mention wrapping or how the "cure" is applied, turning, etc. Any reliable recipe will give you all this information & more. Please, please use one. Just like any raw-food presentation, Gravlax needs to be prepared correctly to be safely enjoyed.

i have a nice piece of coho salmon sitting in my fridge that i was thinking of making into lox, or more specifically gravlaks (gravlax). curing it in just a simple mix of salt, sugar, black pepper, and dill.

i've read that freezing the fish for 7 days is enough to kill any parasites, but i was wondering if anyone has had any experience in making their own.

This link might be of service:
Making Lox at Home - Easy Gourmet Recipes from Sausagemania

Bucky T, we made gravlax at school and we froze if for 5 days, let it thaw in the fridge for 24 hours and took it out only when we had the salt mixture and wrappings ready to go. We used a layer of foil with a layer of plastic wrap on top, covered with a third of the salt mixture, then the fish, rest of the salt so that the fish was completely coated, wrapped it in the plastic and then the foil and put it in the fridge to cure. We served it to customers in the restaurant two days in a row and as far as I know there were no casualties!

Hope that helps. I can look up the mixture we used but it is in one of 7 spiral notebooks written on both sides of the pages!

lol. it is quite chilly here tonight.

thanks everyone.

from reading several articles and recipes, i'm going to freeze the salmon.

giggler, that's the recipe that i've settled on. lots of great suggestions and advice in the comments area.

thanks again! :chef:

Have you checked to see if your fish was previously frozen? MOST times it is...but certainly, not always.

Would love to hear the results of this bt! Pics would be great too????

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom