Bread machine v. kneaded by hand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you put your bread machine away in a cabinet you will never use it and when you do you will probably not appreciate the results. Like many things, "love" and emotions go in to the regular use for the rewards to occur.

If you put your bread machine away in a cabinet you will never use it and when you do you will probably not appreciate the results. Like many things, "love" and emotions go in to the regular use for the rewards to occur.

That's not necessarily true. Perhaps YOU forget/ignore what's in your cupboards, and fall out of love with the unseen, or have tons of counter and cabinet space to keep your gadgets and appliances at your fingertips, but that's not the case with everyone. Some people just do not have any available space on their counters or in their cabinets to house a behemoth like a bread machine without sacrificing valuable working/storage space. Just think of those who live in small apartments. They have the least space of anyone.

I am replacing kitchen cabinets and counter tops for a client, and the counter is 7'-6" long with a 33" sink in it. That leaves a total of 57" for workspace and storage space in her entire kitchen. Not everyone lives in big houses with lots of space, so lets be sensitive when someone says that they just don't have the space, because they probably don't. There's no need to heap unnecessary guilt on them.

I kneaded by had for a LONG time. I used a bread machine but I found that really made me lazy because I didn't do anyting but put the ingredients in and press start.

NOw I can't knead by hand but I have a mixer that kneads for me. For me that is the perfect combination. I still do the acutual shaping and baking, but the hard part - the kneading - is done for me.

I have never used a B M but i did use my mothers mixer to make bread, after that I never went back to using the kitchenaid mixer. I prefer to make my bread by hand.

Enter the DAK into our lives, and while it was very convenient, we never really loved the taste of the bread it mixed and kneaded
Has anyone had this experience ?

You know how first impressions go.

Mom got one of the first breadmakers, she loved the taste, I thought the bread tasted like a mix of cardboard and plastic.

I know in the last two decades or so things have gotten better .... First impressions ... Breadmakers .... BAH!

I'll stick to the mixer as the Kneader and the oven to bake it in.

Incidently. I use a KA to knead the dough, and no matter the amount I knead with the machine I finish by kneading into a ball for raising by hand.

In my mind the strands of gluten need aligned, something I'm not sure can be done with a dough hook, for proper raising.

I have a bred machine, but I can't remember the last time I used it. I would love to freecycle it, but I think DH would be offended as he got it for me.

I think I'd like a breadmachine - but wonder if that might take all the fun out of breadmaking for me.

I have a KA mixer with a dough hook - but don't feel it does as good of a job as I do by hand.

What do you guys think? Buy a breadmaker?

If you like kneading the bread by hand, don't buy a bread machine. That's the whole reason why other people buy one, they do NOT like or have the ability to knead it themselves.

I've never thought of that, the way i see it is that if you don't have enough time to make bread by hand aBM is the way to go-mixes and bakes in one unit.

That is true, but lots of people use the machines to prepare the dough only and then finish the baking in the oven. One reason is they don't like the hole in the bottom of the loaf or the shape of the loaf.

Making pizza dough is fun to do in an ABM, along with dough for homemade hamburger and hotdog buns.

I never thought of just making bread & pizza dough in a BM. I'm a purist since I watched my mother making it by hand, I did try it with her stand mixer but felt uncomfortable that it didnt look the same as the hand method:(

For most things I usually use my KA 6-qt mixer (with the "C" dough hook) to mix and kneed my dough for about 5 minutes - then turn it out on my board and finish kneeding by hand till it feels right (usually just a minute). I usually make 2 1.5-lb loaves at a time this way - once a week was usually enough for my step-mom and me. I've made bread totally by hand (up until about 12 years ago when I got my KA), and I tried it a couple of times with my aunt's BM.

There are some things where I have to do a little more of the kneeding by hand.

Last edited:
I found a bread machine at a yard sale today for 5 bucks. It had all the parts, and I found the manual online - I might be encouraged to make more bread now that the hard work is taken care of.

Just have to go to the store and buy some yeast - I only have the rapid rise stuff in the three envelopes - and apparently that isn't what I need?

If you have 3 packets of yeast you have a start, check for an experation date on the package. You can use this yeast if its labeled for BM's, but let the yeast come to room temperature before starting.

If the package does not say "for use for BM's" there is the flieschmanns brand in a jar and its lists the measurements for one enevelope and you will also have to bring this to room temp.

Back
Top Bottom