ISO basic crab cake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I Love crab cakes..

but the usual recipes call for stuff I don't usually have in my pantry...

Is there a "decent" recipe with like canned crab, saltine crackers, veggies, etc?...binder?

I don't expect this to be five star stuff..just more like my Mom's old Salmon Crochetts from the 70's

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

I LOVE crabcakes and have many recipes, but this is the easiest and quick and least expensive that I know.

Makes 8 cakes:

2 cans (6oz. ea.) Fancy Lump Crabmeat (I use Bumblebee)
2 cans (6oz. ea.) Fancy White Crabmeat (I use Bumblebee)

Drain crabmeat, keeping each type seperate.

Combine:
1/2 cup mayo (Use can use Light Mayo-I don't)
1 tsp. mustard (I use Guldens or Grey Poupon)
1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning or your own spice mix
2 TBSP. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
optional: 1-2 dashes of tabasco sauce

Combine and stir above. Then add:

1/2 cup of crushed saltines, or panko
1 egg, whisked seperately before adding

Mix lightly, then add/fold in Fancy White Crabmeat
Finally, when above is well combined,
add in Fancy Lump Crabmeat.

Shape 8 patties, but do NOT pack tightly.

Fry in pan that's already heated with small amount of oil, just to coat bottom of pan. When brown on bottom (4? minutes), turn and brown other side.

Serve with lemon wedges or tartare sauce.

I made this recipe by the Hearty Boys, when they were still on Food TV. And I made the Chesapeke Tartar sauce (click the link and scroll down past the crabcake recipe). Cajun Crab Cakes Recipe : Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh : Food Network

Very easy, very delicious, very similar to quicksilver's recipe above. Oh, and I used Old Bay seasoning, too, instead of mixing my own cajun seasoning.

It was my first time making crabcakes, but this recipe was so easy that it made me look like a pro!

Here's a plate with some creamed spinach.

Lee

I looked at that recipe, QSis. And your pic looks great.
I never tried baking mine - didn't know temps or time.
Are those yummy ones on the plate baked? Wow!

Cooking methods

I prefer to fry my crab cakes, but baking works almost as well. Bake at 350 for about 12-15 mins (depending on how thick you make them). I also like to use a little olive oil or butter to make sure it crisps up.

Mine are very similar to Quicksilver's except that I add a some chopped green onion tops in addition to the parsley. I use saltines, not bread crumbs, as a binder - although I sometimes coat them lightly with breadcrumbs before cooking. I prefer to saute (pan-fry) mine in a mixture of oil and butter. Use a light touch when mixing so you don't break up the lump crab. After mixing, I divide mine into portion-sized balls and refrigerate them. This helps keep them from falling apart when you cook them. Remove from refrigerator, press lightly into patties and saute 3 to 4 minutes per side.

Ahhh - you're RIGHT, I missed that. Read them as identical. I either need glasses or a much higher attention span - lol!! Thanks for pointing that out DownByTheRiverSide.

You might as well forget it if you do not start with fresh lump blue crab. The asian crab meat being sold in the stores now cannot hold a candle to the blue. The crab meat from Venezuela which is gaining in popularity is acceptable. There's nothing better than a Maryland crab cake where less is more:

2 Tbsp. of Mayo
1 Tbsp. of spicy mustard
juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 egg
1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
dash of salt and pepper
1/2 sleeve of saltine crackers, crushed and rolled with rolling pin
l lb. fresh, lump blue crab

mix together mayo, mustard, egg,lemon, and spices. Add cracker crumbs. Gently fold in crab so you do not break up the lumps. This makes 7-8 crabcakes. After forming cakes, cover and refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour. Melt a little butter in fry pan and saute gently until lightly browned on both sides. If you must....serve with cocktail or tarter sauce. The better the crab meat the less condiment needed.

I Love crab cakes..

Is there a "decent" recipe with like canned crab, saltine crackers, veggies, etc?...binder?

All I do is mix a couple cans of crab meat, one egg, about a cup of bread crumbs, salt and pepper and what ever other season you'd prefer, roll it in corn meal and fry in butter.

Simple and quite tastey.

I Love crab cakes..

but the usual recipes call for stuff I don't usually have in my pantry...

I don't expect this to be five star stuff..just more like my Mom's old Salmon Crochetts from the 70's

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Crab, bread crums(or crushed crackers), onion, salt, pepper, eggs, touch of milk.

Options.
Garlic, green pepper, red pepper, bacon, Old Bay seasoning, whatever you like with crab......

Mix up, make a patty fry in a medium hot skillet until brown on both sides..

I like the prepared crab cake from Trader's Joe. But since my partner likes crab cake so much, maybe I should try making them at home! looks easy enough.

I LOVE crabcakes and have many recipes, but this is the easiest and quick and least expensive that I know.

Makes 8 cakes:

2 cans (6oz. ea.) Fancy Lump Crabmeat (I use Bumblebee)
2 cans (6oz. ea.) Fancy White Crabmeat (I use Bumblebee)

Drain crabmeat, keeping each type seperate.

Combine:
1/2 cup mayo (Use can use Light Mayo-I don't)
1 tsp. mustard (I use Guldens or Grey Poupon)
1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning or your own spice mix
2 TBSP. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
optional: 1-2 dashes of tabasco sauce

Combine and stir above. Then add:

1/2 cup of crushed saltines, or panko
1 egg, whisked seperately before adding

Mix lightly, then add/fold in Fancy White Crabmeat
Finally, when above is well combined,
add in Fancy Lump Crabmeat.

Shape 8 patties, but do NOT pack tightly.

Fry in pan that's already heated with small amount of oil, just to coat bottom of pan. When brown on bottom (4? minutes), turn and brown other side.

Serve with lemon wedges or tartare sauce.

I searched last night for a stuffed shrimp recipe, but now that I see this, I believe I'll just use this crabcake recipe, cut it in half, and use it to stuff the shrimp.

You know, unless I'm using nearly lobster-tail size shrimp, I don't bother stuffing them anymore. It's a pain in the neck, & they fall apart anyway when you cut into them. What I've been doing of late is partially sauteeing the shrimp first, & then putting a single layer in the bottom of individual gratin dishes topped with a layer of crabmeat "stuffing", then another layer of shrimp & just a light sprinkling of crumbs/grated cheese/whatever. Bake at 350 just until cooked/heated through.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom