knife length

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anchita

Assistant Cook
What length(s) of knives do you usually work with? Of course, slicers are longer and parers are shorter.. But how about the length of the knife that you use the most? What are the advantages/disadvantages associated with that length? I guess that would also vary with the food being handled..

Personally, I use a 7" santoku the most, but find myself reaching for the 8" chef's frequently as well.

i use an 8" chef's everyday to chop/prepare veggies for my birds, and to cook with for ourselves. i use a 5 inch serrated knife for things that require that type of edge.

I have a set of several Henckels, but pretty much stick to my 8" chef's, paring, and small serrated on a day-to-day basis. If I could only have one, it would be my chef's.

I am kind of different.

I like to use my 12 in Sabatier chef's knife for chopping, a 3 1/2 inch Sabatier paring, and a 10" Sabatier slicing knife [all are carbon steel].

I love my 14" carbon Sabatier chef knife, but I don't use it as often as I do the 12" one.

Wow, choc! I don't think I'd feel in control of a knife that large. I have pretty tiny hands so I think that's why I'm best with the 8".

PA Baker said:
Wow, choc! I don't think I'd feel in control of a knife that large. I have pretty tiny hands so I think that's why I'm best with the 8".

:D I have large hands for a woman. They are not mannish, just large.

choclatechef said:
I love my 14" carbon Sabatier chef knife, but I don't use it as often as I do the 12" one.

That sounds like a SWORD!! :D ;)

I don't think I could control a 14 inch knife very well, either.

I most often use am 8 inch chef's knife, but am in the market for a 10 inch.

Yeah, 14" DOES sound like a sword!! But I'm sure that carbon Sabatier must be gorgeous!

I'm contemplating a 9" (actually it'll be closer to 9.5" coz it's a japanese knife) chef's also, but I'm wondering if it'll be too unwieldy for me..

Anchita, I'd recommend going to a store and trying one out, if you can. Even if it isn't the store you'll buy it from or the exact knife, for that matter, play around and get a feel for what seems comfortable and workable for you. A good knife costs too much to not be happy with it!

anchita said:
Yeah, 14" DOES sound like a sword!! But I'm sure that carbon Sabatier must be gorgeous!

:LOL: It is a little awkward to use, but when I saw it I just had to have it. It is beautiful.

Also, when I do use it, [remember the personality change thread?], nobody comes in the kitchen and bothers me.

That's right PA!

Cleanup crew is welcome.........but only if you respect my equipment! No knives or cast iron in the dishwasher.

Carefully dry and and put away both! Any cracks in my food processor bowl.......and I can promise nothing!

I use knives with a 2" blade (paring knife) all the way up to one with a 16" blade (scimeter).

I'm with PA Baker - go somewhere and take a few knives for a test drive. What we use doesn't matter, what feels good in your hand and you are comfortable with is all that matters.

Personally - I use 8" chef's, slicer, cleaver and serrated bread knives - and a 7" boning knife the most. I mainly use my paring knife to open hot dog packages. :LOL:

Yeah, choclatechef, 14" is a big knife! I'm afraid that if I ever tried to use a weapon like that in my little kitchen I might accidentially poke the lady in the apartment next door!

I'm definitely going to go with Michael and PA Baker's advice and try a bigger knife before I buy it.. Apart from the length, I also want to have an idea of its additional weight. But it's always interesting to know about people's experiences with their tools (or weapons :D) Especially with the one that is supposed to be an extension of one's hand!

Thanks everyone!!

I mostly use my 8" chef's knife, but for cutting large things - cabbage/watermelon, etc - the 10" is definitely the way to go! Also when chopping large quantities the 10" is better.

Back
Top Bottom