This law makes no sense to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the National Safety Council, there is a big difference between talking on the phone and talking to someone next to you in the car. Cell phones are a distraction whether it be hand-held or hands-free. When you are talking to someone next to you , BOTH of you are watching your surroundings so, in fact, you are safer than if you are in the car by yourself.

... When you are talking to someone next to you , BOTH of you are watching your surroundings so, in fact, you are safer than if you are in the car by yourself.

...or both are looking at each other, so in fact, you are much less safe than if you are alone.

Wearing a headset while you're in the car could obstruct your ability to hear a car that you didn't see in your blind spot...

About that blind spot hting. I don't have one in my car. I was watching a program several years ago, where an advanced driving instructor was giving advice to enhance driving control. Many of the things he was talking about I already knew, having had mandatory advanced driving training while in the Navy (it was for motorcycles and was mandatory to drive a bike on base, and many of the skills were applicable to cars). This instructor stated that there needn't be a blind spot when checking the mirrors and explained that most of us were taught improper merror alignment in driver's training while in high school. He stated that to prperly align the mirrors, the rear-view merror should show a clear view of the road directly behind the car. The driver-side mirror should show the road to the left, picking up the car comming up from behind just as it begins to leave the left side of the rear-view mirror, and continue to show that car until you can see it through your side window. The same is true of the passenger side mirror. It should pick up any cars in the lane just to your right as that car begins to leave the right side of the rear-view mirror.

To achieve this alignment, you place your left cheek against the driver-side window, and adjust the driver-side mirror until you can jsut see the side of your own car. Then, when you sit naturally, the mirror will be in the proper position. To adjust the passenger side mirror, you need the help of the passenger, unless you have electric mirrors. Then you adjust that mirror while driving until you get it adjusted properly.

I tried this technique and it works wonderfully well. I no longer have to spin my head around to check my blind spot. I never lose sight of any car behind me as it passes on either side. I have found that in some vehicles, you might have to make minor adjustments after aligning the mirrors with the "cheek against the window" technique. But it gets you in the ballpark.

My eldest son used to give me a bad time about how I adjusted my mirrors, stating that it wasn't how he was taught to do it in driver's training. And you know that parents always know less than any other living person in the eyes of a teenage boy. I finally stopped my car, on the street in front of my house and made him sit in the drivers seat. I had him adjust the mirrors how he thought they should be. I then walked from about 50 yards behind the car and as I got closer, moved to the left while still walking forward. I aproximated where the blind spot would be and had him watch the mirrors. We both agreed that there was a large blind spot. And he said that it was the reason you have to turn around and check the blind spot when changing lanes. I then had him adjust the mirrors by the tehcnique that I use and again walked from behind the car and to the left until I was adjacent to the driver side window. He followed me from the rear-view mirror into the side-view mirror, and could see me until I was right beside him. He was convinced that it was better. With this technique, you no longer have to turn around, taking your eyes from the road in front of you, where things can happen in a split second. You now only have to move your eyes, which is much quicker. Ane when you have to do things quickly, it can be the difference between avoiding an accident, and being in the six-o-clock news. I have avoided several accidents because of my mirror placement. It is a valuable technique, and is so easy to adjust to, unless you are my co-worker, or my boss, two very stubborn and never wrong individuals who refuse to learn anything new, especially from me.

Ok, I hope I was clear, and not too wordy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Nope, not at all GW. It is the same technique they taught us when I went to drive school buses for awhile. People are so used to seeing the side of the car in the mirror they kinda freak when you move the mirror out, but it does work as you stated.
Good tip!

...or both are looking at each other, so in fact, you are much less safe than if you are alone.

You're right, anything can happen but, the chances are better that at least 1 out of the 4 eyes will be watching the road at any given time as opposed to 1 out of 2 eyes watching the road at any given time...especially if you are talking on a cell phone.

I figured out that mirror set up some years ago.

I figured if truck drivers could drive using mirrors and didn't need to keep turning around to see what was going on, I could too.

It's a wise proposal. Scientific, psychological studies, such as the those referenced in the article by cited Mama above, prove conclusively what all reasonable adults know: you can't do two things at the same time as well as you can do either alone. That goes for driving and talking on the phone at the same time.

The simple fact is that when you're talking on the phone while driving, your attention is drawn to the conversation and away from the road. That translates into slow driving in the fast lane, crossing the line into other lanes, failure to see or respond to hazards, failure to anticipate things such as an upcoming exit or turn, and extremely slow (or non-existent) responses in emergencies. We all know that to be true -- we see such dangerous behavior in OTHER drivers every time we're on the road.

Think you can do both? Call a friend and post a message to this board while your having a phone conversation with that person. Either your friend will get angry and hang up on you for not paying attention to him or her, or your post will take you 3 times as long to write and will be filled with mistakes.

GET THESE JERKS OFF MY FREEWAY!

From a person that walks all the time and when I am forced to drive, (weather constraints) I am completely for this law. When I walk to work, I am close to being hit 3-4 times a week. Mostly by someone on the cell. When I have to drive (weather constraints) I am always amazed at the IDIOTS that must carry on a conversation when we have a winter weather advisory in effect. The roads are terrible and you have fools wanting to talk. I for the life of me can not see what is so important to talk about. As a walker that has had to run (walkers have the right of way) to get out of the way of some idiot wanting to argue with his/her family/ conduct business/ order a meal, and risk my/others life, I can not see what the point is. I personally think cell phone have upset the natural balance of things allowing others to interrupt us at our best, while we are having a family meal... I just saw an article about a girl that had a record for texting every two minutes while she was awake. I can't remember the total time, but it was astounding. I think they had a 400 page bill. What is the point? I also am against blue tooth devices, I have almost been hit by drivers using them too. Sorry, but thats my NSHO. I also love garlic!!!

I have two issues with this kind of law. Sadly, stating them would violate this site's prohibition on political discussion.

After almost being killed in an accident a few years ago (not my fault, by the way), I've become very sensitive to things that distract me while driving. Even something as minor as a smear on the windshield. Having said that, I have a cell phone and rarely use it while driving.

Also, I've been nearly broadsided by drivers who were eating or drinking something.

Driving has become such a defensive activity that I only drive as necessary. Used to enjoy driving.

Yes, cell phones are a problem but, so is eating, drinking, putting on make-up, etc., etc., etc....while driving.

I don't think this law will make any real difference but I might be proven wrong.

Even good multi-taskers can be distracted. With my life at stake, I prefer no cells. But that is just me.

For the trips I make, there is no good reason that I can't wait to get to my destination to return the call or make a call. And if it is that important, I will pull into a gas station or some other well lit place to do what I need to do. I for one do not talk on a cell while driving or advocate it. I can't talk on a cell while driving, much less do anything else. In my opinioin, when I am driving, I have a very leathal weapon in my hands and I would prefer to concentrate on my driving and watching out for those who are on there cells and doing all those other things except driving. Most of the near misses I have had have involved somebody yappin/texting on a phone.

But I have seen folks doing things like mentioned before, makeup, eating a bowl of cereal, reading... all those are just as dangerous, if not more. But the majority of the folks you see are on cell phones. So I guess that is why it is getting singled out.

My thoughts for what they are worth, and I work for a cell company.

I put my phone on speaker phone when Im in the car. To me there is no difference then if someone is in the car with me. on speaker my hands are free and I'm talking and listening just like if someone was in the car or I was singing to the radio.

i drive A LOT in heavy traffic on a daily basis. even at high speeds.

it gives me the oppurtunity to drive next to, or pass and be passed bad drivers very frequently.

much more often than not, maybe 90% or better, the driver that is swerving (even slightly), or changing speeds irregularly, or just not "gowing with the flow" is either using a cell phone or is obviously having a conversation with one of those lt. uhura things in their ears. (either that, or they're just nuts and are talking to themselves).

i'm usually on the side of freedom and personal responsibility, but this is way too much.

sometimes, very rarely, people do need to be protected from themselves. well, at least from hurting others. most accidents involve more than one car, so even though a few are capable of driving well through audible distractions, the vast majority cannot.

if you really need to talk, pull over somewhere for that critical minute or two.

as far as driving by using mirrors goes: that's just plain stupid. how much effort does it take to turn your head and look? you're operating something with far more mass and inertia than you realize until it's too late. like a pilot, keep your head on a swivel.

I just set my phone to answer on the third ring and clip it to the sun visor. If it rings, it answers on speaker, talks to me, I talk to it, when the caller hangs up, it hangs up. I bought my first cell phone for this feature, and I wouldn't buy a cell phone that didn't have it.

...as far as driving by using mirrors goes: that's just plain stupid. how much effort does it take to turn your head and look? you're operating something with far more mass and inertia than you realize until it's too late. like a pilot, keep your head on a swivel.

Bucky, I have to disagree.

Actually, with a slight eye movements to the left and right, you can check both mirrors and still be facing front. I believe this is a lot safer than turning your head 90 degrees to the left or right. And that only works if a door post or obstructed rear side window doesn't block your view.

We were not taught to replace turning your head to look with this method of mirror adjustment, rather it was to diminish or even eliminate the blind spot so that in conjunction with all the other skills you use it improves safety.

I have to say, I can appreciate the fact that everyone wants to be safe while in their vehicles or on the road. I think the point is we all need to make safe choices whether that means not using a cell phone, not drinking a coffee, or not putting on make up. Seriously.

I fail to see the necessity for new laws when the existing ones cover these eventualities. Or are the laws different in the US than they are in Canada? As I mentioned before we have one about paying due care and attention which covers the whole texting/cell phone yakking thing.

For the record, I drive teens regularly, and have driven children in a minivan for years. No one can tell me I'm a worse driver with my bluetooth on than I was with juice boxes tossed at my noggin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom