Gravy Woes -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luvs2Cook

Head Chef
Ok, over the weekend I made a roaster chicken.
Once it was done, there was not a whole lot of drippings in the pan so I added the usual cold water w/ flour, S&P and the gravy came out just Ok, but NOT Really good. What went wrong? How come there wasn't a whole lot of drippings in the pan, should I have added something else? Do I need to add more water in the pan while it is cooking? if so, how much water?
Thanks for any help/suggestions. :wub:

Guess its the ultimate question... How do I make a GREAT GRAVY???? :pig:

Sometimes when I don't have a lot of drippings, the chicken hasn't cook quite long enough to release the flavours. Also some chickens do not impart flavour.

To make the gravy, I would remove most of the fat from the pan leaving the jus and some fat. Stir your flour into this on the heat to make a roux. Cook for a little while, then start adding stock (vegetable or chicken - if a roast chicken). Add a little stock at a time stirring until the stock is blended in, then add some more. Once the stock is all added stir until the gravy starts boiling. Simmer for a couple of minutes and add salt & papper to taste.

Now for the myriad other ways to make a good gravy.

Did you use oil or butter on your chicken? I usually put a fair amount of butter on mine, and there are plenty of drippings...

First of all, if you need more liquid, never add water. It brings no flavor to the party. Add chicken broth. Reduce the concentrate flavors, season liberally.

Do you put your chicken on a rack? I use a mirepoix as a bed to set the bird on. Then I have that flavor to work with when it comes time for gravy. One can mash up the bits, strain them out, whatever, but if caramelized well, when deglazed they will impart great flavor. I also use added chicken stock and butter the bird well.

I do what Miniman and Andy said, only difference is I ALWAYS add some white wine. Never water, only broth or stock.

:LOL: I think everyone is trying to tell you - "Don't use water"

I have to agree. Add some chicken broth or white wine to the pan and place your bird either on a rack or on a bed of carrots, onions, celery, and a few sprigs of thyme and rosemary (go easy on the rosemary). Tarragon and chicken also go very well together. Now THAT will give you some wonderful gravy! I have been known to put dry sherry and an apple in the cavity of the chicken and I can tell you, it makes a wonderful gravy!

You just need to add a bit more flavorful liquid and you need some seasonings. Even a dash of poultry seasoning when you start making the gravy helps.

Put your pan on one or two burners, depending on how big your pan is.
Remove as much fat as possible.
You want at least 1/4 cup of the good cooked juices.
If you don't have that much add some stock. Even a pat of butter will help.
Sprinkle flour over the juices to soak up and start whisking.
Whisk for about 3 minutes on medium low. This cooking time will reduce the flour taste in your finished product. If this flour mixture starts to take on a bit of color that is good too, but, not necessary.
Once the flour mixture has cooked start adding your chicken stock and whisk away. Even if you think you have added too much it will thicken up.
You can also use a mixture of chicken stock AND milk.

Hope this helps.

I have been known to cut off the tail, or at least the fat from the tail, and put that in the bottom of the pan. However, to really increase the amount of drippings, the bird needs to be allowed to "drip". If you roast while the bird is horizontal, a lot of the liquids are trapped in the body cavity. I will take my carving fork, or a large, heavy-duty spoon, insert it up into the body cavity, and actually lift the bird up and tilt it so that the juices run out into the roasting pan. BE CAREFUL NOT TO SPLASH YOURSELF!

The fat from the bird will add some flavor to the gravy. However, is "everything else" that gets caramelized and adds the bulk of the flavor. That can be, but is not limited to, seasonings that drip off the bird, pieces of the meat and/or skin stuck to the roasting pan, blood that coagulates and then caramelizes, etc. I find that it's the caramelize, coagulated blood from the bird that really helps build the fond.

I usually don't use a roux to tighten my gravy. I just cook all the drippings after I remove the bird from the pan until they are well caramelized. I deglaze with rich stock, stirring and scraping to get every last bit dissolved into the liquid. Once that happens, I strain the liquid into a gravy separater, then pour off the liquid into a saucepan while keeping the fat in the separater. I tighten my gravy with cornstarch, then season to taste with salt and pepper.

Looks like you will have some good gravy Luvs. I got in too late for input, everything I would have said has been said.

Concerning water, I think that pretty much sums it up right there!!:LOL:

I put mine on a rack and add some chicken broth to the pan with some white wine should I have some. I like a thicker creamier gravy so I add in some milk to it when it comes time to make the gravy.
I also layer the bottom of the pan with celery, onions, and carrots along with herbs and pepper. I don't add any salt as I find most chicken stock already has too much in it!

Thank you everyone for all that wonderful advice. I will be sure to try a lot of these ideas next time. Sorry for sounding "dumb" but for some reason, I just don't get a whole lot of drippings when I do my chicken/turkeys. It probably totals about 4 or 5 tablespoons which won't make a whole lot of gravy! LOL.
Thanks again.

For dripping gravy.... unless you make a Roux.. don't use flour..
Uncooked flour adds nothing but a pasty taste...

No one is suggesting flour in gravy should go uncooked. As with any starch, after adding it, the gravy should be cooked for several minutes.

Cornstarch gives a different result from flour. When leftover gravy that has been thickened with cornstarch is reheated, it will lose some of its thickening power.

I may not have read this carefully enough to see if anyone else suggested this, but if I am lacking in drippings, I always add some butter to the pan. To me, if it doesn't start out with a roux, it just doesn't taste like gravy to me, so I would never add flour & water to the pan. I'll add butter, scrape all the crusty bits off the bottom as it melts, add flour and let it cook a bit as I stir it and get out all the lumps. Then, add stock or broth, never water. Everyone does it differently...just a matter of what you are used to and the taste you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom