Muffaletta Sandwitches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I am planning to make some of these for a group of friends on Saturday night. Have any of you made them before? I have, but wonder if they would be good wrapped in foil and placed in our oven for a few mins. Recipes I have don't call for doing that, but I think it might be good. Any opinions?

Yes -- I've have made, bought, and enjoyed many of them -- Both served "Hot" and Cold. In New Orleans one can quickly get into a discussion about the issue. There are passionate advocates on both sides. I can eat & enjoy both Hot and cold, but prefer the Cold ones....It's your party...Do what you want!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

I love them cold and pressed..My kids wolf them down anyway they can get them...I've had them warmed, depends on the meats I've used
kadesma

I will be making these sandwiches tomorrow for my party Saturday evening. I'll put the filled loaves wrapped tightly in foil on a cookie sheet and then another cookie sheet on top and weigh the whole thing down with heavy cans. Can't wait for the party.

Thanks for all of your answers.

I have consumed many, many of these in my time. The best (this is very arguable by anyone from in or near New Orleans) is at Napoleon House. The others are at Central Grocery. Everyone that I have has is heated. Not wrapped in foil because you want the tops of the bread to be crunch, and the cheese to be slightly melted. I prefer Napoleon House because there Olive Salad is not entirely Olives. The have cauliflower and carrots also. It is all made the same way. In a pickled, olive oil base. They are also best served with a dill pickle slice, and plain potato chips. I am not sure if you will be able to find the bread in Florida. It is usually about 10” across, and then after it is done, it is cut into quarters. It is very seldom my wife and I can eat more than half. They can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days, and then popped back in the oven for a few minutes. So, if it is an option, and you want them to be original, you want them server toasted, and still warm.

I have always made large ones and cut them in wedges just prior to serving. Imho, they should be weighted down overnight, and if you want to heat, I would unwrap them so the bread gets crusty and not soggier.

I make my 'bun' with a focacchia dough recipe and bake it in a 12" cast iron skillet. I cooked these in my wood fired oven and coated the top of the bun with salt, garlic & rosemary, made a taupenad (sp?), and used supersata, capicola, & provolone. Maybe not traditional, but delicious!

img_772779_0_fd57a3d3b9df354704aa7901f6f9f3fc.jpg

img_772779_1_72162b6b4125ef47e170a7a7930504e9.jpg

Oh, and these were served room temp. I let the buns cool, sliced them, built the sandwich & served.

The Muffuletta I am familiar with is always made on a loaf of Italian country bread, large, round and high. We scoop out the inside of the bread, leaving about 1 inch of dough all around, and brush the insides with "juice" from the olive salad. Line the bottom "bread bowl" with olive salad, and proceed to build.

Chevelle, yours looks more like what the sandwich shops around here are selling and calling "panini."

The Muffuletta I am familiar with is always made on a loaf of Italian country bread, large, round and high. We scoop out the inside of the bread, leaving about 1 inch of dough all around, and brush the insides with "juice" from the olive salad. Line the bottom "bread bowl" with olive salad, and proceed to build.

Chevelle, yours looks more like what the sandwich shops around here are selling and calling "panini."

Agreed -- But ya gotta try a Frenchuletta -- Muff fixins on N.O. French Bread....Serve with Onion Rings, and a Frosty Mug of Beer....:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom