Banana Muffin Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KAYLINDA

Head Chef
I have a recipe I use for banana bread that I dearly love. However, I want to make banana muffins instead of bread. I tried this recipe, but they "sink" in the middle. I wasn't sure if I should use more flour in it, doesn't seem right when the bread cooks just fine. Perhaps...it's just the baking time...since the bread takes much longer...but I can't bake the muffins longer because they would be too dark. The recipe I use is below. Can someone critique it for muffins, or just share a recipe they use? Thank You!

MIX TOGETHER
1 CUP OIL
1 1/2 CUPS SUGAR
¾ CUP BROWN SUGAR
ADD 4 EGGS
STIR IN 1 1/2 CUPS MASHED FRUIT
ADD
3 CUPS FLOUR
1 TABLESPOON BAKING POWDER
TRIED ADDING 1 TABLESPOON SODA
1 TEASPOON SALT
2 TABLESPOONS VANILLA
BAKE AT 350 FOR ABOUT 45 MINUTES (for bread)

I understand that a muffin is not just a cake baked in small amounts. If yu want a muffin rather than a cake, I suggest you use a tried and true recipe.

Unless you have a wacky oven or pan that is ...

i use banana bread recipe from betty crocker cookbook. i have baked in loafs or muffins. always good. in fact going to make some this afternoon (after nap) lol. got out my giant muffin tin. haven't used them for this before.

I once posted a recipe here..
you can try this or search through this forum, I'm sure, there are lots of banana muffin recipes ;o)

The dough is too wet for a muffin. Try adding a tsp of baking powder, remove 1/2 cup of oil, (or more) and add about 1/2 cup of flour. Check the muffin recipes and make sure you use a "muffin method" with this. You are actually making cupcake kind of things. Muffins do the wet ingredients stirred into the dry ingredients very gently. To be honest, I think I'd ditch all the oil and just rely on the banana to give you the moisture you need. I'll go find my banana muffin recipe for you.

While I am not a versed baker (far from it LOL), I noticed that on a lot of my recipes for cakes they also give you alterations if you want to make muffins. The only ones I see that don't need much alterations are the giant (soda can sized) muffins. This is probably because they are large enough.
I would agree with Alix, too wet for a muffin. Unfortunately, I do not have a really good banana muffin recipe as I am not happy with them. Compared to my banana bread recipe they are just too dry.
Just to be clear, I am talking about the recipes I have, not all the recipes out there. I am sure there must be some really really good ones, it is just that like you I need to find one LOL.

...To be honest, I think I'd ditch all the oil and just rely on the banana to give you the moisture you need...

Alix, can I do this in / for your banana muffin recipe you posted seperately (not your mom's and not the one with fiber - the one with the chips)?

Thank you!

Thank you so much for the recipe! I hope to try them this week sometime. Depends on how busy we are, as to what day I get them done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom