Chinese New Year celebration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DramaQueen

Head Chef
I posted this on 2 other cooking sites so I thought I'd post it here too. A lot of great cooks here so...
I celebrate Chinese New Year with a week's worth of Chinese food. I LOVE Chinese food and love making it. I invite my friends and family over and we eat and eat. Even though I'm not Chinese, I celebrate as an excuse to make a lot of Chinese food. (I also celebrate Cinco de Mayo - the Mexican holiday.)
I'm wondering if any of our posters here do this and if you would post your favorite homemade Chinese dishes on this site. Go to my blogsite
CHEW ON THIS! and see what I cooked up last night, forgetting that I was having lunch with several friends today at a Chinese restaurant. :LOL:
Now it's your turn.

gung hey fat choy, dq!!!

YouTube - Parrot speaking Kung Hei Fat Choi

i like to make a version (not all that oriental) of steak kew when i buy a whole beef tenderloin. i use the better scraps; the ones that can be trimmed further into small chunks.

first, dredge the beef in cornstarch, then stir fry in peanut oil until browned on all sides. set aside beef.
stir fry some scallions, garlic, ginger, shiitakes, and halved baby bok choy for just a minute.
add some red wine, let reduce while the veggies soften.
add some butter and soy sauce, and put the meat back in.

if needed, thicken with a corn starch slurry.

serve with rice.

Hey, that looks good to me. I love stir frys. I wonder if using Sherry in place of wine would give it more "oriental" flavor.
Love the parrot.

As good excuse as any to do some chinese cooking. Thanks for the idea, CJ.
I'll hold off til Saturday night and probably do a shrimp version of something.

On January 26, 2009, it will be the Chinese New Year. This is the Year of the Ox. For the Chinese, the year is 4707. It falls on the second new moon after the winter solstice.

I just love moon cakes!!!

So how does that compute with our calendar? Am I 4x older than I thought I was? Or 1/4th?
Moon Cakes, yum!
I won't mention exhusbands and Oxes in the same sentences though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom