Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   General Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   What do you do with used veggies from roasting (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/what-do-you-do-with-used-veggies-from-roasting-54568.html)

velochic 01-19-2009 10:49 AM

What do you do with used veggies from roasting

the soggy, mushy vegetables that you use for roasting chickens, etc. I hate throwing these out. I can't give them to the neighbor dog because of the onions. I don't want to throw them in compost because of the meat juices in them. I have only recently started roasting whole chickens because I just found a great, local homesteader who sells (non-certified) organic chickens. I have thrown them away before, but that seems sooooo wasteful. What do you do with them? TIA!

Andy M. 01-19-2009 10:51 AM

You can puree them and use them to thicken the gravy you make from the pan drippings.

Katie H 01-19-2009 10:53 AM

^^^^ What he said!:smile:

Jeekinz 01-19-2009 11:01 AM

If they're too soggy to eat, I'll make a sauce in the pan then strain it through a china cap mushing some of the veggies against the side.

Robo410 01-19-2009 11:05 AM

yup. if they're crispy we eat em, If they are soggy they get pureed for sauce.

miniman 01-19-2009 11:06 AM

You could also convert them to a soup.

GotGarlic 01-19-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by velochic (Post 776270)
the soggy, mushy vegetables that you use for roasting chickens, etc. I hate throwing these out. I can't give them to the neighbor dog because of the onions. I don't want to throw them in compost because of the meat juices in them. I have only recently started roasting whole chickens because I just found a great, local homesteader who sells (non-certified) organic chickens. I have thrown them away before, but that seems sooooo wasteful. What do you do with them? TIA!

I put the veggies in for only about 30 minutes and then eat them with the chicken. I love roasted veggies :chef:

SoupDragon 01-19-2009 11:08 AM

Yes, criminal to throw them out! As others have said, remove the meat, add some stock or wine, squish everything together with a potato masher and strain, pressing down to extract every precious drop of flavour. That's the whole point of roasting them with the meat in the first place. Try it, you'll be amazed.

simplicity 01-19-2009 12:18 PM

You might make them crispy again with a little olive oil and a saute pan. That's what I do. I like those leftover roasted vegetables for breakfast, sometimes with an egg or a bit of sausage.

fahriye 01-19-2009 12:19 PM

Make 'bubble and squeak' which is an English dish for leftover veg. Just mash everything and pan fry it before serving. You can maybe add some more mushed potato and some herbs before frying. I usually dry fry it, if the veg is oily already.