What do you do with used veggies from roasting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
the soggy, mushy vegetables that you use for roasting chickens, etc. I hate throwing these out. I can't give them to the neighbor dog because of the onions. I don't want to throw them in compost because of the meat juices in them. I have only recently started roasting whole chickens because I just found a great, local homesteader who sells (non-certified) organic chickens. I have thrown them away before, but that seems sooooo wasteful. What do you do with them? TIA!

If they're too soggy to eat, I'll make a sauce in the pan then strain it through a china cap mushing some of the veggies against the side.

the soggy, mushy vegetables that you use for roasting chickens, etc. I hate throwing these out. I can't give them to the neighbor dog because of the onions. I don't want to throw them in compost because of the meat juices in them. I have only recently started roasting whole chickens because I just found a great, local homesteader who sells (non-certified) organic chickens. I have thrown them away before, but that seems sooooo wasteful. What do you do with them? TIA!

I put the veggies in for only about 30 minutes and then eat them with the chicken. I love roasted veggies :chef:

Yes, criminal to throw them out! As others have said, remove the meat, add some stock or wine, squish everything together with a potato masher and strain, pressing down to extract every precious drop of flavour. That's the whole point of roasting them with the meat in the first place. Try it, you'll be amazed.

You might make them crispy again with a little olive oil and a saute pan. That's what I do. I like those leftover roasted vegetables for breakfast, sometimes with an egg or a bit of sausage.

Make 'bubble and squeak' which is an English dish for leftover veg. Just mash everything and pan fry it before serving. You can maybe add some more mushed potato and some herbs before frying. I usually dry fry it, if the veg is oily already.

I usually give them to the dog as she loves carots, I mash them all together, celery onions and all of them.

Velochic, Is there a reason why the dog can't have onions that I don't know about, or is it just that dog. Our beagle loves them cooked, I been giving them to here for years.

Yes , I agree, bubble & squeak with more mashed potato. I make small patties and sprinkle some plain/all purpose flour over them, then fry them in some olive oil. Usually have them with any cold meat leftover from Sunday roast.

You could also convert them to a soup.

Thanks for reminding me. I did this once and it was so good I can't believe I forgot all about it til now.
Just puree the veggies, add a little water or broth, any broth will do, if needed then add milk or better yet milk and cream to make scrumptious and very nutritional creamed veggie soup.
You could also [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Me and mine have always just eaten the veggies without trying to turn them into anything else. We never knew you weren't supposed to like them when they were mushy, and us 5 boys ate them all up (and everything else in sight). Being raised in an ethnic home, we wasted nothing, and the dog only got dog food.

Thanks for some great ideas. I make split pea soup all the time... I don't know why I didn't think of adding them to that... it has all the components I use in the soup. I like the gravy idea, too, although the gravy I make just from the drippings is usually rich enough. I'm going to try the pea soup with what I have left over from last night and see how it goes.

As for the dog not having onions... the neighbor just told me to not give her onions, chocolate or garlic. She said it could kill her. Well, I don't really like dogs, so I don't know that much about them, but we like our neighbors very much and even their sweet pup. I didn't think much about it. However, after the post above, I thought I would google it. Turns out onions can cause their red blood cells to explode. :ohmy:

Here's a link explaining it.

Purée and thin with some good vegetable or chicken stock to make a soup. Actually, it is worth making extra veg. in this way (the oven is on so why not cook extra) and either purée and freeze when cooled to add stock to on thawing to make a soup, or convert immediately into a soup if you have some stock ready (bouillon and water?) and freeze. To chill quickly: if cooking extra veg. for this, place a roasting tin in the freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour beforehand, place the hot mix in this and it will cool quickly. Good if you freeze in individual portions. Easy to thaw overnight, reheat to boiling and pack in a pre-heated flask to take to work. Let your oven do the most possible work for you in these credit crunch times.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

Make 'bubble and squeak' which is an English dish for leftover veg. Just mash everything and pan fry it before serving. You can maybe add some more mushed potato and some herbs before frying. I usually dry fry it, if the veg is oily already.

Hi Fahriye,

A good and useful idea but AFAIK "bubble and squeak" is potato and cabbage. Any other dish would be vegetable and potato cakes!:LOL: Great served as a breakfast dish with a fried egg on top or as an accompaniment to other dishes.

All the best,
Archiduc

Mmmm I love the bubble and squeak aka veg/potato cake idea! BRILLIANT! (as you guys would say)

And the idea of a fried egg on top is DOUBLE BRILLIANT!!

I might try that with my chicken stock vegs!

Lee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom