Cold Oven No Knead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
I came across a blog where the person did his No Knead bread with a cold oven start , instead of preheating the oven . I am thinking of trying this method .

That's interesting, especially since all bread recipes call for pre heating the oven. My guess is that it will take a while longer to bake. Let us know how it turns out and how long it takes.

The cold oven start is a success . :) I made the NYT dough the evening before, so it was ready this morning. I put the dough in the cold dutch oven, let it proof for 1 and half hours. Then I turned the oven on 475 degrees, when it reached 450 degrees , I started the timer for 30 min. At the 10 min mark I checked on the bread , and took the cover off the dutch oven to let it brown for another 15 min.
For the NYT bread I used 2 cups bread flour and 1 cup All Purpose .

I guess it really works. Saves using gas/electric for at least 1/2 hour of preheating. Did you score the top of the bread or did it split that way on its own? Looks like chicken feet.:LOL:

I guess it really works. Saves using gas/electric for at least 1/2 hour of preheating. Did you score the top of the bread or did it split that way on its own? Looks like chicken feet.:LOL:
I did score it , never thought it looked like chicken feet, hmm wonder if Pacanis chicken got onto my bread . ;):LOL:
I just baked another loaf but using 5 min a day recipe , tho I used King Arthur's Artisan flour ( 5 cups) and 1 cup All purpose.

5 min a day in cold oven method

I did this one with King Arthur's Artisan flour and all purpose , also use sea salt. I proofed this in a banneton , then put the dough in a cold dutch oven and into the cold oven.

I have a recipe for an Italian bread called pagnotta, which is baked from a cold oven. You give it a first rise and then shape it, put it in the oven and turn the oven on.

I don't think I am understanding this thread. Sounds like you did preheat the oven, but not the pot (Dutch oven) you put the bread in?
No preheating of the oven was done. Here's her original post:

I came across a blog where the person did his No Knead bread with a cold oven start , instead of preheating the oven . I am thinking of trying this method.

Hope this clarifies it for you.

Ok, that's it.
I am officially moving my bagel talents halfway between Ladycook and Joe.....

Longer growing season too...

What could be better????
:)
Looks incredible LC!

Lady that bread looks great. I may have to give the cold oven start a try next time. How was the texture and crumb? The crust looks wonderful.

Artisan 5 min Bread

One other question: You baked it in a dutch oven pan. You did NOT bake on a stone?

I hope the answer is YES. I do not like messing with a pizza peel full of cornmeal and try to move the bread on the stone in the oven. MESS.

Thanks Aria

One other question: You baked it in a dutch oven pan. You did NOT bake on a stone?

I hope the answer is YES. I do not like messing with a pizza peel full of cornmeal and try to move the bread on the stone in the oven. MESS.

Thanks Aria

That is correct, no stone needed.

Back
Top Bottom