Bay Leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rookies

Assistant Cook
I have a Bay Tree in the garden that I pick Leaves off and I normally dry them out for a few weeks before packing into a storage box... Someone was telling me the other day I can use them straight of the tree into my cooking is this true?

I've always used fresh bay leaves at my parents' house. It's handy to just go in the garden and pick one when you need it. And I prefer the stronger flavour it gives to the dish.

I was happy to find fresh bay leaves in the supermarket. I now use them exclusively.

Use them straight from the tree!
My friend has a tree in her garden, for decoration only!!
I always pinch some when I visit!

I try to buy fresh bay leaves whenever I can. Whole Foods is the only store here that carries them all the time. They will last in your vegetable crisper for weeks so no need to worry about spoiling. I prefer the fresh to dried.

I have a Bay Tree in the garden that I pick Leaves off and I normally dry them out for a few weeks before packing into a storage box... Someone was telling me the other day I can use them straight of the tree into my cooking is this true?

thanks for asking! I just learned something new today and because you asked! Appreciate it.

Thank guys Took a few fresh ones out of my garden today and they are lovely will keep doing this from now on :)

Use fresh. Infuse some milk with bayleaves, strain and turn into a custard and make bayleaf icecream - absolutely wonderful stuff served in a brandy snap basket with berries and a berry coulis.

All the best,
Archiduc

Back
Top Bottom