Snakes In Paradise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quicksilver

Washing Up
Geez. I just came in from a walk down by the canal with weiner dog and got on the lania and weiner dog started
barking relentlessly.
I tried to figure out what was his problem, but I have a workbench I keep my orchids on (which are now inside due to the cold) and I finally saw...........

An eastern diamondback rattlesnake! About 4' long!
It was just about to make his way UNDER THE HOUSE! And did!
I have an armadillo who started digging a hole under my
cement kitchen steps, just below a gutter downspout.
I put dog hair in there last week and I haven't seen or heard it since. But I guess the snake was trying to keep warm in there and decided to move on.
My heating & A/C ductwork is under the house, so I imagine that's what he was going for.
Now I have to worry when it gets dark where this thing is going to be.
Ah, the glory of living in Paradise!​

Geez. I just came in from a walk down by the canal with weiner dog and got on the lania and weiner dog started
barking relentlessly.
I tried to figure out what was his problem, but I have a workbench I keep my orchids on (which are now inside due to the cold) and I finally saw...........

An eastern diamondback rattlesnake! About 4' long!
It was just about to make his way UNDER THE HOUSE! And did!
I have an armadillo who started digging a hole under my
cement kitchen steps, just below a gutter downspout.
I put dog hair in there last week and I haven't seen or heard it since. But I guess the snake was trying to keep warm in there and decided to move on.
My heating & A/C ductwork is under the house, so I imagine that's what he was going for.
Now I have to worry when it gets dark where this thing is going to be.

Ah, the glory of living in Paradise!​

Quicksilver, is there some agency or company that you can call to get rid of the snake. I am worried about you getting bitten.
Western Diamondback Rattlesnake - DesertUSA

Thanks for your concern, Susan.
To be sure, I will be very, very careful. No sandles or crocs (shoes) tonight. It's too cold for them today anyway. And I'll be careful with my guy-weiner dog too.
We have a conservancy less than a mile from here, but it's (the snake) is in it's natural environ. I don't want to bother them, and endanger them getting under the house. Everything is acting strange with this cold snap. Even seeing the deer grazing in the daytime risking daytime auto traffic.
Tomorrow it's supposed to warm up alittle. I'm hoping it will come out to bask in the sun on the road or driveway, and the eagle or falcon or hawk will see dinner. Even the gators would find it a tasty treat.
For now, no yard work.

I like that calm attitude, QS. I would probably seal up that hole under the house, if it was me, however.

A funny story--my 78 year old mom was having some trouble with her heart, and the doc gave her a monitor to wear for 24 hours. When I called her after her 24 hours was up to ask how it had gone, she told me she thought she might have to do the test again, because she had "messed it up."

I asked her how you could mess up a monitor, and she told me she had had to kill a snake. This was unusual--she is more the live and let live type, so I asked her why she had had to kill it. She said it was in the living room :ohmy: and it was a big old copperhead. :ohmy: :ohmy::ohmy:

She knew she had to kill it right then, before it crawled away and hid under something, so she closed the doors to the living room and went for the hoe.

She learned 2 things that day--snakes are hard to kill on carpeting, and copperheads really do smell like cucumbers when you get up close and personal.

BTW, her heart test turned out just fine.

I like that calm attitude, QS. I would probably seal up that hole under the house, if it was me, however.

BTW, her heart test turned out just fine.

So glad to here your mom's test went okay.
Truth be told, I am anything but calm. But there's nothing I can do but be careful.
I can't seal up under the house. It's a manufactured house and is up off the ground about 2'. Just enough to
get to the plumbing and heat/a.c.
But thanks for your comment and concern.

Is there maybe a humane society or animal control near where you live? They may be able to go out and try to safely catch the snake.

Around here, a snake like that would be endangered.
I really like rattlesnake meat! Dredged in a little seasoned flour and fried to golden brown...mighty good!
And no, it doesn't taste like chicken! :LOL:

Wow, the thought of any kind of snake, anywhere near me, really scares me. :ohmy: You keep on being careful!

If I would have found a snake I would be in Canada by now and that would be on foot from FL.

Oh QS, I don't think I would like knowing that there is a venomous snake hiding under my house...he may just be trying to get warm, however, if you're having a cold snap. Take some comfort (you probably already know this) in the fact that he doesn't like you any more than you like him, and unlike crocs, they are not predatory toward humans. No gardeing for now, though - that's a sound decision. And keep your doggie safe. We encounter lots of exotic creatures here in our corner of paradise as well - so snakes so far, but we did find something called a tailless whip scorpion a few months ago in our yard. He was as big around as a DINNER PLATE. We asked around and some people told us they are good luck and don't sting and others told us that when they sting you, you turn black and die. Fortunately, he scrambled away (sideways) very fast.
imgres

Oh Karen, those ARE horrible looking! But they don't seem to sting from what I've now read.
But I would die of fright-no need to bite.

We have the Brown Recluse spiders that are tiny, but very effective with their venum. They told me when I moved here to shake my shoes out before putting them on for these and scorpions, and open the bedsheets before entering.
I haven't seen any yet, but I figure its a matter of time.
Maybe having snakes is a good thing! do they rid me of these others?

You say exotic....LOL! I guess they think we're the exotic! We're not the natives!

YUCK!!!! I havent seen any rattlers since Ive been here, but my husband has caught(and done away with!) TWO water moccasins in the pond right next to our property! We have also come across many black widows!! VERY scary!! BE CAREFUL & SAFE!!

Back
Top Bottom