Need help with sauerkraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abby

Assistant Cook
I started another batch of sauerkraut 3 days ago. The first time I made kraut it turned out great but was too salty. This time I cut the salt down & used 1 tsp salt per qt of raw cabbage as if I were making it in the jar. I mixed it well & packed into my glass crock being sure it was covered in brine. Now, the top of the cabbage is turning brown & doesn't have a good odor. Could it be I didn't use enough salt? I've taken off the part that is turning brown but not sure whether I should throw the whole crock away. I was so sure it would be at least as good as the first I made. Beginners luck I guess. Is there anyway to salvage this mess? Thanks.

when I make it I use 3 heaping soup spoons of salt for

every 5 lbs of cabbage. Some how 1 teaspoon of salt for a quart of cabbage just does not seem like nearly enough. Since cabbage is so cheap I don't think I would try to salvage it. Even if you removed all the spoiled cabbage I think it may have imparted a bad flavor to the bring and the rest of the cabbage. If the kraut is to salty for you after you make it you can rinse it lightly to remove some of the salt.

I agree, toss the cabbage, clean everything throughly, and then make a new batch using the 'correct' amount of salt for the amount of cabbage.

You can reduce the salty taste later by rinsing the finished sauerkraut.

You don't 'have' to, but some say it improves the fermentation process. Mine just sits in a big jar with a vapor lock, like the making of a good wine.

Thanks everyone! I'll throw it out & start over.

Constance, thanks for the info. I had no idea it should be worked with after putting it in the crock.

Do you actually mix/stir the cabbage with your hands after it starts fermenting? I want to be sure I understand this correctly.

I thought you was only supposed to be sure it was covered with brine. Shows how much I know. Thanks again!

I make kraut the way my mother and Aunt made if for a number of years and it turns out great every time.

I use 3 TBS pickling salt for every 5 lbs of cabbage. I mix it thoroughly and pack it into a 5 gallon crock that my mother always used. As I out in each 5 lbs I take my fist and punch down the cabbage to get the juice flowing.

Once I have used all the cabbage I have or when the crock is 2/3 to 3/4 full I take a very clean linen dish towel and put it on top of the cabbage. I then take 2 large food grade plastic bags, put one inside the other, put them in the crock and fill with water. This not only weighs down the kraut make more brine, it also effectively seals the crock to prevent molding. Any gas buildup can still escape, but I rarely have to discard any kraut because of mold.

Thanks johpor, I did a batch like you say & it turned out good. I had no scum or mold on top. In fact I did nothing to it but watch to be sure the brine was still over the cabbage. The sauerkraut was still white or very light after fermenting was complete.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom