Advice on Chipped Knife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seven S

Senior Cook
N of the Equator, W of the Greenwich Meridian
I accidently dropped my Hattori Santoku knife unto concrete floor and chipped about 2 millimeters off the heel, see picture below. It really hasn't bothered me that much and I have been using it normally, but I was wondering if I should go ahead and try to take it to the whetstone to blend it in with the blade. I dont meant taking off the whole blade to the level of the chip, but kind of "rounding out" the heel. I have seen some great advice on this knife section from posters who seem to know a bit about knives and would appreciate some now. Thanks.

Attachments

• 005s.jpg
    005s.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 241
  • 006s.jpg
    006s.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 271
Ouch. Well, sh*t happens. I would do nothing more than grind down a straight line between the two ends of the chip. Do it at the expense of the choil, not the edge. If you round it off you will possibly lose more blade length. You have lost a few millimeters of blade at the heel but you're stuck with it. Eventually the edge will meet the top of the chip and unless you're in a pro kitchen this will take years. The whole thing will bug you for a few days or weeks and then it will be business as usual.

Buzz

That sucks. It's not as easily to seamlessly fix something like that as it is to fix a broken tip. A buddy of mine at work did the same thing with my Tojiro 240mm gyuto, bunged the tip a little in the process. I couldn't really even yell at him about it seeing as he cut himself badly enough in the process that we had to take him to the ER.

As Buzz says, after many sharpenings it will be gone. But if it's 1/4" or so it won't happen any time soon. FWIW I just try not to let it bother me. Sure, I like to take care of my stuff but ultimately knives are tools. It would stay pristine and new looking if you simply left in the box and never used it, but what fun would that be?

Yeah I would just leave it as is and after some use a sharpening, it would eventually go away. Just make sure it's not bent and you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom