Sausage Balls - Question on actually cooking them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, so my daughter's friend gave me a super easy recipe of a 1-1-1 ratio for sausage balls. They taste great but they burn on one side when I put them on the pan so I was wondering if I could either deep fry them or if I could maybe bake them on my cookie cooling rack like I cook my wings when I bake them. Just looking for a way to avoid that brown patch on the bottom.

Last edited:
I don't see why you couldn't bake them....kind of like making little meatloafs, lol and that's baked
That's the issue. When I bake them, they get a hard flat brown spot on the bottom. I'm looking for a better method to avoid the hard spot that just ends up getting tossed. It's a lot of waste IMO to not eat the bottom of every sausage ball.

Bake them, but turn them a few times during the cooking process.
Maybe it's my pan then because I tried that and ended up with two and three hard brown spots that my daughter refused to eat. I used a Farberware cookie sheet. Is there something else? Cheap aluminum you toss afterwards? My stone that seems to like grease?

These are a must have for Sunday and I'd like to make them without having half of them end up in the trash.

In the oven.....My theory is the pan is to thin...oven to hot....pan to close to the burners..(raise the rack) If the mixture contains cheese...It will burn in a heart beat...

Suggest you let them brown a little...drink a beer or two...Enjoy the game!!!:LOL:

Have Fun!!

Not sure what your recipe is, but here's ours. The bottoms do get a little hard because the cheese melts. I just eat them that way and never concern myself. Of course, if you're daughter doesn't like it or it's too hard for her, just cut the bottoms off and you're golden.

3 C. Bisquick
¾ C. Water
1# Breakfast Sausage Roll
10 oz. Sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)

Preheat oven to 375º F.

Mix Bisquick with water until like dough. Breakup sausage into small pieces and combine with cheese into Bisquick dough using your hands. Roll into balls about 1” – 1 ½” and place on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Courtney's recipe is easy ~ 1 cup baking mix (she prefers Jiffy), 1 cup cheddar cheese, and 1 pound sausage. Bake 20 minutes at 350. I like the idea of using my new CI. Any excuse to use the new CI.

I can't see how CI is going to help matters. If anything I would think it would make it worse.

I thought the idea was to use a thicker pan that would more evenly disburse the heat, allow the balls to roll around in the pan, something that can't happen on my cookie sheet. With the CI I could shake and roll the balls around maybe get a more even cook. Just the thought I got from Uncle Bob's post.

Back
Top Bottom