Katie E - MIA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toots

Head Chef
Has anyone heard from Katie since Monday? W. KY got slammed with a big ice storm earlier this week and I'm afraid Katie is without electricity. I hope she is OK.

Has anyone talked to her? I don't have a number for her and I've been worried about her. The ice caused quite a mess in my part of Kentucky but I know down state is it much, much worse. The news has been reporting that some parts of KY will be without electricity until mid-Feb.

If anyone has heard from Katie, could they let us know?

you are making jokes, are you?? :w00t:

I haven't heard if her either, but I hope everything is okay..

It's no joke. Ice storms are a big problem for the middle of the U.S. I think in Germany most of the power lines are underground, but it's common for power lines to be on poles here. Ice freezes to the wires and they eventually snap from the weight. If the storm covers a large area it can take weeks to repair the lines.

She was expected to have an ice storm. I tried to call her but got a busy signal. She was also supposed to go see Buck's mother in PA. Her plane had been delayed a day. I REALLY hope to hear from her soon! If I do I will pass it on.

Thanks, KE. With me being away myself it is hard to keep up with everyone else, but I am sure glad I am back here and hope that Katie is all right.

Kim and I have tried to call her, but phones...even cell phones...are not working. They have as much as two inches of solid ice on everything, trees and power lines are down, and they said on the news last night that 600,000 people in Kentucky alone are without power.
Warming centers have opened in churches and public buildings with generators, and the National Guard as well as local citizens are pitching in to do what they can, but it's a mess down there.

Katie's brother and family live close by, and she is a very self-sufficient lady, so I feel sure she is OK, but I will keep trying to contact her and will let you know if I do.

It's most likely that teh cell phones don't work either..
I'm sure she will manage the situation with the help of other....
I would like to hear from her, but I don't think there is a need to worry....

@ RobsanX
we do have overhead power lines, and there was a break down in one area about three years ago - but they got it somehow fixed within 10days....

Hopefully she was able to leave on her trip. She said that she would probably be without a computer while she was gone. She also said that she typically leaves her cell phone turned off. I have to admit though, I will feel better when we hear from her.

:)Barbara

No news yet? I have been saying prayers and I know she is a very strong lady. But I am still concerned.

I haven't read the story yet, but I saw a headline that said that Kentucky is thawing out slowly. Katie is in my prayers.

Western KY is a mess. Our local news has been saying it could be mid-Feb before power is restored to that area. MSNBC ran a big story about the storm today, they interviewed our gov. who has declared a state of emergency for the whole state. I hope Katie is safe and warm. I doubt she has power yet though.

I don't know if Katie has a fireplace, wood stove, or another heating source other than electricity, but hopefully she is snug and warm under a pile of quilts and kitties.

Come back to us soon Katie, we love you and miss you!

I've been trying to call her too and I just get a busy signal. But she took my number with her, and I've been checking my voicemail every few hours. She really is very self-sufficient and does have family close, so I am pretty sure she's okay.
But I sure as heck will feel better when I can hear from her!

I also tried to call her...no luck. CNN this afternoon showed National Guard in her area of Kentucky going from house to house to make sure everyone was OK. They had a nasty storm, and I'm sure her power must be out. Katie is very resourceful and knew it was coming, but I sure am anxious to hear from her....

img_785800_0_fccab0e8673658d5fe693726fa50ee33.jpg

The flight was canceled, so she didn't get to go on her trip.

Kim and I are still trying to get hold of her, but it may be a while. We talked to Katie the night before the storm, so she knows we are concerned. I just hope she can get through to us soon.

The pictures on the news tonight didn't look too encouraging. Travel is extremly limited by the trees and power poles that are down.

Still, I believe she is okay.

I don't know if Katie has a fireplace, wood stove, or another heating source other than electricity, but hopefully she is snug and warm under a pile of quilts and kitties.

Come back to us soon Katie, we love you and miss you!

I remember a thread a few months ago, actually I think around Thanksgiving, that she was cold in her place because Buck wasn't there to light the fire and the kids didn't want her doing it. I can't remember if it was a fireplace or woodstove, but I do remember the comment.

Yeah, but a person does what they have to do when they have no choice. I learned how to start a generator and make a fire in a coal furnace.

Back
Top Bottom