I need a new crockpot/slow cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sketch182

Cook
I love making meals in my crockpot. I currently have a 12 year old Rival crockpot and it has been great, but the cooking temperature is getting a bit suspect.
What type of slow cooker/crockpot do you recommend?

I just bought an All Clad slow cooker. I have used it only twice, once for stew and once for chicken soup. Both turned out better than my older Rival. The stew was tender and the veggies just right (not mushy) and the soup was very clear because the low setting didn't boil it.
It's easy to use, but it is a little more expensive than many others. If you will be using it a great deal, it may be worth checking it.

I've drooled over the All-Clad slow cookers! But sadly, I have to make do with 2 Rival. I have no complaints about them - they work very well. But they are no where near as beautiful as the All-Clad one.

I read a review in Consumers Digest and the Hamilton Beach was at the top. I don't remember where the All-Clad came in. The problem with product reviews is that they don't often review older appliances for durability. A great product today could be a lemon in a few years. Have you had a slow cooker for a long time and with good results?

I have a Rival (oval). The only thing that I don't like about it is that it can't be pre-programmed but it sure holds a lot more than the round one that I used to have :eek:)

I read a review in Consumers Digest and the Hamilton Beach was at the top. I don't remember where the All-Clad came in. The problem with product reviews is that they don't often review older appliances for durability. A great product today could be a lemon in a few years. Have you had a slow cooker for a long time and with good results?
That's good to know because I bought one today. I haven't unpacked it, but I did buy one.

Hey Sketch,
Do you remember what H Beach model that was recommended? I'm in the market for a new slow cooker also.

Okay I take back my recommendation of the three in one and will be taking the item back to Walmart (no, I didn't use it first :LOL:). Because of the shape, things like a corned beef roast won't fit in even the largest bowl. I'm sure it might be okay for soup or something liquid, but nothing solid because of the shape. For the cost I could get two Crock Pots in different sizes so I would say avoid the 3 in 1 Hamilton Beach.

Hey Sketch,
Do you remember what H Beach model that was recommended? I'm in the market for a new slow cooker also.
I checked a couple of Consumer Report artivles on the web and they seem a bit suspect because of when & by whom they were written. However, I found one that was supposedly from CR, but the results were different than I read in the magazine. In any event, this is how they rated the top 3 in one article:
1. All Clad 99005
2. Rival Crock-Pot SCVC604H-SS
3. Hamilton Beach Set 'N Forget 33967
I'll probably take a close look at each and make up my mind based on what I find.

My mom was showing me her new Kitchen Aid Crockpot which is all digital, with readouts and stuff. I was impressed (being somewhat technical myself).

A month went by and the inner stoneware as already cracked on her. And no she claims to have not dropped it or bumped it on something hard. Kitchen aid fully warranty'd it but she has since found out other people who own them have all had similar problems. One of them was on their 5th removable stoneware inner container that Kitchen aid keeps warranty'ing. (sorry is that a word? :) )

You might want to avoid that one until they get that figured out.

Kitchen Aid isn't exactly known for their SLOW COOKERS (only Rival is a Crock Pot). I would never buy a new Kitchen Aid counter appliance, you're basically paying for the name at this point, their products are inferior to what they used to be. I'd rather buy a 20 year old stand mixer from them than one manufactured last week.

Back
Top Bottom