Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   What is your favorite grocery store chain? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/what-is-your-favorite-grocery-store-chain-54979.html)

Noodlehead 01-31-2009 12:26 PM

What is your favorite grocery store chain?

And why?Mine probably has to be Kroger because I seem to always save there and their store brands aren't bad. For specialty items I like Harris Teeter and for really good meat and the best quality produce I like Fresh Market.

GB 01-31-2009 12:45 PM

There is not much choice by me. We have Stop and Shop for our regular groceries. There is also Price Chopper, but it always seems so dirty inside so I never go there. Then we have Trader Joes which I love, but you can't get all your groceries there.

LPBeier 01-31-2009 01:32 PM

Being Canadian, the name will probably mean nothing to most of you but I love Save-On-Foods for my regular groceries. I do some bulk shopping at Costco but for the fresh stuff - meat, vegetables, fruit, herbs, eggs, dairy, etc - I prefer to check out the local markets and farms when I can.

I also have connections with some of the wholesalers for my catering business so I when I put in an order I usually add on some of our own stuff as well.

Noodlehead 01-31-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPBeier (Post 785077)
Being Canadian, the name will probably mean nothing to most of you but I love Save-On-Foods for my regular groceries. I do some bulk shopping at Costco but for the fresh stuff - meat, vegetables, fruit, herbs, eggs, dairy, etc - I prefer to check out the local markets and farms when I can.

I also have connections with some of the wholesalers for my catering business so I when I put in an order I usually add on some of our own stuff as well.

I've been to the East Coast of Canada(New Brunswick) and was very impressed by one of the stores,not sure if it was Save-On or not but they had a lot of the same brands that my Harris-Teeter has like President's Choice.

babetoo 01-31-2009 02:11 PM

in southern calif, we have von's, an all purpose grocery store, i shop on line once a month, sometimes for fun go to trader joes or quick and fresh. course i always buy something.

larry_stewart 01-31-2009 02:17 PM

Shoprite. I travel about 15 miles, passing about 10 other stores, just to get to shoprite. Big clean store, great prices, well organized, double dollar coupons .....

Noodlehead 01-31-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babetoo (Post 785103)
in southern calif, we have von's, an all purpose grocery store, i shop on line once a month, sometimes for fun go to trader joes or quick and fresh. course i always buy something.

I'll bet its beautiful out there and you can get some awesome fresh produce.I have a friend in Laguna Niguel who says that avocados are just as expensive out there as they are here which made me scratch my head.:ohmy:

CookingKEV 01-31-2009 02:19 PM

fav!!

My favorite store is Aldi's there a smaller store, not all the fancy things. They have one or two choose's at most of items but milk that I pay $ 4.00 plus for at the "cheep" Wal-Mart I pay $ 2.69 for there. There great for all your basic food items, I do visit that big box store for items I cannot find there but that's just a few of my regular items. You can't beat them, there moving into new markets, so look for them.

Robo410 01-31-2009 02:38 PM

our closest is a Giant Food (DC Baltimore chain) and it is excellent and quite large. We have a smaller gourmet store about 20 miles away if there are special needs, Jansens. We are told there will be a large Whole Foods to be built soon near us. But come summer, I shop at the farms around me for most everything.

cara 01-31-2009 02:56 PM

Kaufland or Rewe (not Minimal any longer...).. but I think no one knows that.. ;o)